Advanced search

Early waking 4 month old - argh!!!

(4 Posts)
wonderingmum Mon 04-Aug-08 08:42:16

DD1 had blessedly started sleeping through the night but is now waking up at 5am, having a giant poo which requires full changing (clothes, linens, etc.) and then not going back to sleep. This morning by 620 I finally figured out she was ravenous. She does wake up at 1 and 3 but settles herself back to sleep so I haven't been feeding her. But I'd rather feed her at 3 and have her settle back to sleep than be up this early. Should I go back to feeding her at 3? Or persevere and hope she eventually stops waking at 5?

TheGabster Mon 04-Aug-08 12:26:47

No expert but fellow mum with 5.75mnth old. Just a few thoughts

Do you give a dream feed? And are you BFing? Is it possible she is not getting enough?

Also, they have a really nasty growth spurt around 4m which lasts for weeks and if you are BFing, apparently your milk changes to cope and everything. I FF my DS (not by choice sad) and I went onto hungry baby milk at this stage because the same thing happened and his dream feed was just a rediculous size and he just kept wanting more. This often gets mistaken for the baby needing weaning early! He did this for 3 weeks!

Hope this helps a bit.

wonderingmum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:27:37

Definitely helps. DD is also formula fed (like you, not by choice) and her feeds just get huger and huger and I wonder how her little tummy can cope! Tried dream feeding her and strangely enough there was a direct correlation between adding this feed and her getting up to play from 1-5am so we stopped it. Will try going back to a midnight feed again tho, when she awakes, and otherwise will try new milk. Lordy - can't imagine weaning her at this point but I sure can see why some would!

TheGabster Mon 04-Aug-08 14:16:43

Wierd about the dream feed making her play?! Feeding when she wakes sounds like a plan.

If it helps, I also sometimes give a split feed in the evening before he goes down at 7pm. I.e., give a smaller feed at 5ish, and then another around 6.30. But this is mainly because mine has reflux and can't take really big feeds so this is a good way to get enough milk in him and keep it in him sometimes. Let us know how you get on tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now