Talk

Advanced search

Duvet or blanket/coverlet and sheet?

(12 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 03-Aug-08 22:45:04

So, what it your preference

A) Duvet
B) blanket and sheet, with additional blankets as needed?

When I was younger, my mum used to use blankets and sheets, in the winter more, in the summer less. She would tuck them in at the sides, and fold the (usually) white sheet over the blankets.

Then we got duvets, end of the previous way. However, I have always prefered my duvet tucked in at the sides and the end.

DH gets hot, I can't sleep with just a sheet. We had bought a posh coverlet to match our duvet cover, not for any purpose you understand other than to look nice.

The last couple of weeks have been muggy and I grudgingly agreed to using the coverlet and an egyptian cotton sheet.

And I really like it. I makes much more sense than a hot stuffy heavy duvet we have central heating so why bother with togs? And it reminded me of being young, and how I liked it, and this a grown up version, not a bed with crocheted or itchy blankets, but a posh version of the same.

And it reminded me of being in USA, with MIL, and then seperately with the two different BILs, they all have coverlet and sheet, more blankets if needed.

And I wondered why we did not do this sooner. We are thinking of getting rid of our duvet now.

So, what is your preference and why?

PavlovtheCat Sun 03-Aug-08 22:54:40

I was thinking this was a kind of nice and gentle sunday evening post hmm

Seeing as I am laying here under my nice satin lined coverlet!

laura325630 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:56:11

I love my duvet. I always have one unless it is very hot then just a duvet cover! It was 26.6 degrees on our room last week and I was still tucked up under my duvet!!

Sheets annoy me as if you have more then one I always seems to loose one in the night!

PavlovtheCat Sun 03-Aug-08 23:02:30

Laura see I was like that too. I would sleep with my duvet, no matter what. And I was scummy and never used a sheet on top with it, just normal bottom sheet.

I never in a million years considered that I would sleep any other way. No matter how hot it is, I have to have my duvet around my ears.

Could not sleep with just duvet cover, or just sheet, not heavy enough.

BUT, the coverlet or whatever it is called, is heavy enough, without being too hot.

I was very surprised grin

Califrau Sun 03-Aug-08 23:25:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laura325630 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:08:23

What exactly is a coverlet??

Califrau Mon 04-Aug-08 16:50:43

PavlovtheCat Tue 05-Aug-08 00:40:53

califrau - I quite like it. Don't ask me why, I am very surprised at myself!

I get what you are saying about changing the cover, this particular one is silk lined and will cost a fortune to clean!

I think a coverlet is more like a thin 'quilt' than a duvet hmm.

PavlovtheCat Tue 05-Aug-08 00:42:16

Don't you call them comforters in the US califrau?

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:44:28

duvet

Califrau Tue 05-Aug-08 00:44:45

PavlovtheCat Tue 05-Aug-08 00:45:35

LOL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now