Talk

Advanced search

just moved ds from cot to a bed and now hes waking and screaming all night- anyone have any tips please

(6 Posts)
kbaby Wed 30-Jul-08 22:13:12

Not sure what to do.
DS is 2 and moved into his bed last week. Since then hes crying at bedtime and is getting out of bed constantly. He eventually falls asleep after 1hr and then wakes in the night and the same thing happens again. At the moment we are standing outside his door and putting him straight back to bed but this can be upto 50 times over the hr before he finally takes the hint.

I dont know if we are being too harsh or too soft or if there is anything else we can try.

Seona1973 Wed 30-Jul-08 22:15:35

put him back in his cot?

cheesesarnie Wed 30-Jul-08 22:15:47

sounds like he misses security cot provided.a gro bag might help to make him feel more 'secure'.or making a nest type thing with rolled up blankets or pillows around.does he have a favorite cuddly for bed?did he get to choose new bedding?if he likes books,gong to buy new bedtime book might help.

fifitot Thu 31-Jul-08 20:14:45

MY DD is 2 and has been really unsettled since moving to the bed. However she had totally outgrown cot so had no choice.

Haven't found a solution for it yet however. I have to stay with her til she falls asleep which isn't so bad at 7pm but if she wakes in then night I usually end up falling asleep on the floor next to her!

daisydora Thu 31-Jul-08 20:19:33

Ah fifitot - your DD & mine sound like twins. We had to move DD to bed as she was jumping out of her cotbed and was running the risk of seriuos injury! I too have to sit in a chair until shes asleep, the slightest twitch and shes awake grin

Kbaby, she too wakes in the night and screams until we relent and she ends up in bed with us. My mum suggested maybe she was scared of her new bed in the dark, so we bought one of those nightlight plug ins, and for past 3 nights she has been much better. She will still wake up, but I can usually get her back to sleep in about 5-10 mins. This has prevented me from falling asleep on floor like fifitot too grin

jellyrolly Thu 31-Jul-08 21:34:23

My ds1 is 2.6 and moved a couple of months ago. He's been terrible, same thing, getting up all night.

The only thing that's worked is having those guards at the side. His bed is a toddler one and they fill the whole sides (I know you're meant to have a gap so their head doesn't get stuck hmm) and he says it's his cot. He obviously feels safe in it.

I still have to sit at the door til he falls asleep but he does this quickly now. It will get easier. From talking to friends I think sometimes its harder for boys as they can be big babies!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now