Talk

Advanced search

2 year old screaming house down all of a sudden

(11 Posts)
kirstygem Wed 30-Jul-08 08:05:33

We have been so lucky with my DD who is 24 months now. She has slept 7pm-7am for at almost 2 years. we just put her in bed and she settles herself anf we never hear from her til we go in to get her in morning.
This last week she starts screaming before she even gets up to her bedroom and then screams the house down. we have just been letting her cry a bit although she will eventually settle if we sit beside her til she falls asleep. Neither DH or I want to get into doing this very night though. Will she just stop doing it if we let her cry it out?? last night she also woke for an hour during night and screamed.
I have DD2 due in 6 weeks and so really want this sorted out asap

dccmmm30 Wed 30-Jul-08 08:54:31

We are having the same problem with our 2 year old it started about one week ago We also tried to just let her cry but this did not work so we have resorted to lying down with her until she falls asleep but last night it was 1 hour before she fell asleep. she has also been waking up at least twice in the night and we have gone into her room until she falls asleep again. I do not have any solutions at present.

posieflump Wed 30-Jul-08 08:55:41

is it the heat?
it has been quite humid lately

kirstygem Wed 30-Jul-08 10:52:02

She is only wearing little vest and nappy to bed, no covees on as it has been so hot.

joesmama Wed 30-Jul-08 12:38:34

Exactly the same with my DS (2.2)! He screams and cries for "mumma" and "daddy" - it's heartbreaking to hear. Have no solution at the moment but it's good to know it's not just us with the problem.

Fingers crossed tonight will be better for us all! grin

kirstygem Thu 31-Jul-08 13:25:41

Only 30 mins screaming before she fell asleep last night. Quite relieved though that its not just our child

dccmmm30 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:27:29

Well done we have been cutting her afternoon nap down.I am not sure that if we cut her afternoon nap totally I could cope for the whole afternoon. We are also puting her to bed at 8.00 instead of 7.00 she seems to be screaming no more unless we leave the room but I have brought a night light as well. I am still having to lay beside her until she falls asleep. It took 40 mins tonight, but hope to progress to sitting and then sit further away from the bed. good luck. I hope this is of some help. also if she starts to stand up I have told her I will leave the room which I did. I did come back but she knows i will do it again.

REIDmylips Fri 01-Aug-08 21:43:31

We are experiencing something very similar. I have put it down to the fact that ds is far more aware of what is going on. He knows now when bed time is looming. He has even started to say "1 more" when his program has ended that he watches as part of his bedtime routine.

He runs away from us now when we go to pick him up to put him in his grobag. We try to ignore it and talk to him about his day as an attempt to distract him. We have recently started to take the same cuddly toy up to bed with him saying how tired 'doggy' is. This seems to have made the distraction a little easier.

It has got a little easier, we have however had the problem of him not going back to sleep if he wakes in the night for a while, unless some one is in the room with him, even if i am just stood in the door way. it is very frustrating. We tried to just ignore it and let him cry it out the other night, but dh gave up after 2 hours of crying (which was more paddy than crying as there were no tears) and stood with him until he went to sleep. (just like to add that we didnt just ignore him for 2 hrs, we did go in and try to clam him every ten mins or so. He would be all smiles but then return to tantrum as soon as we left the room)

olivo Sat 02-Aug-08 20:38:29

we have had this too for the last couple of weeks with my 23mo dd. It started just when waking during the night but she has recently become reluctant to go to bed too. we have established that she may be scared of the dark;she now goes to bed with the landing light on and door a bit open and if she wakes in the night, if i can leap out of bed and open her door and stick the landing light on again, we normally get away with although if i'm not fast enough, it means standing by her unti she drops off. i have just bought her a peppa pig nightlight which i'm hoping will do the trick; she can turn it on and off herself.

thefortbuilder Wed 06-Aug-08 17:11:16

we have this as well with ds who is 2yrs old. he's absolutely fine going to sleep but if he wakes up he is literally screaming inconsolably - tears running down his cheeks, can't breathe etc. calling for mummy and papa. he has blush been coming down in with us when this has hapened previously as ds2 is now just 4 months and i was too tired to think straight!

will try the light in hallway and see if that helps as dh was apparently really scared of the dark

bert74 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:02:36

We have also just had this start, 4 nights ago with our 20 month old. He used to sleep so well, now he screams the house down, last night it was for 2hrs!! So far tonight, we have been doing controlled crying for 1 1/2hrs with now sign of him giving in yet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now