Talk

Advanced search

Self-soothing - When does it happen? And how from a dummy?

(5 Posts)
angel1976 Sun 27-Jul-08 23:23:17

Ok, DS has always been a good sleeper until we went away long haul and that completely threw us when we got back. We are slowly getting back to how things used to be - bed at 7pm, DF at 11pm and sleep through till 6/7am. While on holiday, I introduced a dummy and it did wonders for pacifying DS (who, in all honesty, was a bit of a screamer from day one!). But now I am not so sure if it is good idea.

DS would never keep one in his mouth, which is why it took us till 4 months to seriously introduce one. Even now (about a month after introducing one), he has never quite got the hang of keeping it in his mouth so it's very much putting one in his mouth, holding it in till he drifts off and out it comes. Great right? It means I am not up all night putting the dummy back in his mouth. Even if he wakes during the night, it is relatively easy to settle him without his dummy.

However, lately, it seems that he would suck for ages on the damn dummy and not sleep! So I am there holding it in for him till the cows come home and still not asleep. Tonight I got fed up after an hour of him doing it (every time I try to take it off, he cries), took the dummy off, rock DS a little and he went off to sleep with a teeny weeny protest and I put him down in his cot and still sleeping now.

So what do I do now? Do I persist with the dummy (it's SOOO helpful in keeping him quiet while out in public!)? Or should I try to wean him off it now since it's becoming more of a hindrance? Do they ever learn to self-soothe? DH wants to do CC or CIO but I can't really bring myself to do it but can see no other way? Thanks for all your suggestions!

Ax

thisisyesterday Sun 27-Jul-08 23:26:50

i would give up on it. why the need to keep him quiet while in public???? don't get it.

and if he alreadyt sleeps well 7-7 with a dreamfeed at 11 right???
why on earth do you need to do CC??

I am not sure I understand the problem

angel1976 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:22:35

He screams and cries when put to bed and it's really hard to soothe him without a dummy! But with the dummy, he's taking to sucking it for ages without going to sleep so wondering if there is an alternative? Thanks.

P.S. The need to keep him quiet in public really was for the plane! I really didn't think passengers would appreciate DS screaming for 12.5 hours!

RubiMama Mon 28-Jul-08 08:49:37

I would scrap the dummy at night angel, but he could still have it in the daytime if it helps - I understand why you gave it to him for the plane, I had a few flights with DS when he was tiny and luckily it was a dream, but not looking forward to next one on saturday now he's a fidgity 6mo and probably won't feed to sleep on me anymore. Sorry diversion! You said that when you took the dummy away he protested a bit and then went to sleep, I think if you are consistent you can break the new habit at night time. Also maybe the dummy sucking is keeping him awake longer, in the same way breastfeed can. Putting DS to sleep used to take an age when I boobed him off but now we have done PU/PD he goes to sleep in 5 minutes.

angel1976 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:53:52

Thanks RubiMama, we are meant to do another long haul in September (when DS is just over 6 months) and I am so not looking forward to it either. Thanks for your suggestion, I will try and wean him off the dummy slowly. Wish me luck! And good luck on your trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now