Talk

Advanced search

When do you put newborns to bed at their bed time rather than yours??

(13 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 26-Jul-08 20:31:20

We are just keeping DS up with us at the mo and then taking him to bed when we go and he just sleeps on the sofa next to us. He's 2 days old. When should we be putting him to bed as it were, in his cot at a reasonable time e.g. 7ish (although I guess 8pm as he last fed at 8 tonight)?

SlowDown Sat 26-Jul-08 20:35:34

Don't know what the right answer is but we found with our two that around 3-4 months when they started sleeping longer at night then they just gradually got into a routine of going to bed at 7ish. Before that, they were generally up and around with us, or so unpredictable that they didn't have much of a routine. Sure others will say different though grin. Good luck!!! Early days! I was dead worried about dc1 getting into a good routine. With dc2 more laid back and they were both fine in the end!! Suppose it also depends whether you are planning to set a routine or be more demand-led with regards both feeding and sleeping

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Sat 26-Jul-08 20:37:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScottishMummy Sat 26-Jul-08 20:38:24

no definitive answer -whenever you feel comfortable.mine had own cot from birth

congratulation's btw

tab1 Sat 26-Jul-08 20:39:34

while dd was in moses basket we kept her downstairs with us and carried up basket when we went to bed, but once we moved her to her cot we put her to bed at about 8pm, this was about 4 months old.

AnyFuleKno Sat 26-Jul-08 20:42:50

Like tab1 we started this at about four months. There seemed no point until then as dd would cluster feed in the evening.

moocowmrs Sat 26-Jul-08 20:43:12

we started putting dd in her cot in own room when she stopped cluster feeding at night and when she got into the bath feed bed routine and started having bath time with ds I suppose around 6 weeks, to be honest it was nice to feel as if dh and I had a bit of time in an evening !!

Rhubarb Sat 26-Jul-08 20:45:04

if you jkeep em up late they don't sleep late. Put them to bed at a reaonsoable time to get them into the routine of going to bed at that time. Or else they get used to going to be gted when yuo do, sorry about this bloody keyboaed.

sweetkitty Sat 26-Jul-08 20:54:22

DD3 goes into her moses basket about 8ish once the other DDs are in bed and she has a feed, then we carry her up at night. Eventually when she is a bit older and we have more of a routine shock she will go up at the same time as the DDs about 7.45pm.

She's 11 days old.

finallypregnant Sat 26-Jul-08 21:09:23

DS is 3 weeks old and we are just going with his body clock at the moment. I am reliably informed that he will start to find his own routines at 6-8 weeks. We use a moses basket in our room and the pram bit of his travel system downstairs during the day/evening.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 26-Jul-08 21:18:16

He cluster feeds between 11 - 2am!

I think we will start putting him in his cot from tomorrow night or as soon as we can get a second baby monitor. Thanks everyone

walkingwomb Mon 28-Jul-08 19:03:50

we were kind of doign what you were doing. we would start our bedtime bath routine at about 9, but her down at about 10. However, it got to the point were i was waking her up to put her to start the routine hmm at about 8 weeks, so started putting her to bed earlier. As the others said this kind of coincided with her stopping cluster feeding. At 10 weeks we started putting her to bed at 7 (which we were going to do eventually, so thought might as well start). Has been lovely having whole evening to ourselves grin

littlemisssplendid Mon 28-Jul-08 20:47:07

About 8 or 9 weeks. Once the colic had subsided as it was inpossible before this. Then into own room at 12 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now