Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about co sleeping?

(13 Posts)
sleepycat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:45:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarsLady Fri 25-Jul-08 23:47:31

As long as you are happy with it and understand what the risks are then go for it.

I co-slept with all 5 of mine including the DTs. Loved it and it really helped with breastfeeding. I loved the fact that the baby/ies fed, slept and fed again. smile

It was a wonderful time.

MrsSylar Fri 25-Jul-08 23:48:21

Oh god,at 10 days old you probably need the sleep.

Just let him stay in bed with you.

It doesn't last forever (unfortunately)

wrinklytum Fri 25-Jul-08 23:49:16

If you are happy and hes happy and you aren't smoking/drinking/taking drugs I am sure it will be fine

I co slept with both mine in the early days,as they hated being put down

policywonk Fri 25-Jul-08 23:49:45

Lord no, carry right on. So long as you/your partner (DH or whatever) don't smoke, take mood-altering drugs, go to bed drunk or take prescription meds that make you sleep really heavily, it's perfectly safe.

Just make sure you arrange the bed clothes so that there's no way the baby can get tangled up in them - I used to put our pillows about a foot or so down the bed and put baby right up the top, so he was a long way away from the duvet.

NotDoingTheHousework Fri 25-Jul-08 23:51:46

Message withdrawn

pooter Fri 25-Jul-08 23:53:27

ok, first of all you must get hold of the book "three in a bed" by Deborah Jackson. It is incredibly reassuring. She cites lots of evidence which shows that cosleeping is in fact safer than having children in a separate room. The statistics that the hospitals churn out about how its dangerous, arise from including parents who fall asleep on the sofa or while drunk etc. In countries where cosleeping is the norm, they do not understand cot death at all as it doesnt happen.

I did it from about week 4, and i so wish id done it from day 1. you only need to open your eyes and see that your baby is safe! Its wonderful. I recommend it to anyone!

And sleepycats need their sleep, so do what feels right. Congratulations on your little one!

S1ur Fri 25-Jul-08 23:53:48

yy just carry on, he's tiny and everyone needs to sleep.

Sleep safely and sleep well smile

a useful website, you may have to register to search

solo Fri 25-Jul-08 23:54:27

I had my Dd in with me, mainly because she was a nightmare and bfed very often and because I had no heating for an entire Winter, so I wanted to keep her warm(she was born in December).
I think that you become super aware that they are in with you and as long as you take reasonable precautions(no alcohol or smoking)and ensure they don't overheat or get lost in the bed/duvet, they should be fine IME.
On the down side(for me), it was a nightmare trying to get her into a cot as she got older, but I just got into the habit of putting her into the cot when she went off to sleep...took a while though.
Congratulations on your baby son by the way!x

sleepycat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:56:01

sleepycat Fri 25-Jul-08 23:57:44

moocowme Sat 26-Jul-08 11:57:11

i think co-sleeping is perfectly natural. we do it on and off depending on how well ds is sleeping.

PortAndLemon Sat 26-Jul-08 12:00:31

I get sooooooooooooo much more sleep co-sleeping. We take all the right precautons and I have a Respisense breathing monitor on DD for added peace of mind (got that one because you can use it when cosleeping or in an Amby hammock, which you can't with the pad-style breathing monitors).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now