Talk

Advanced search

How old before giving a dummy?

(5 Posts)
woodmill100 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:29:58

To a formula fed baby? For SIDS it is 6 weeks but packaging says 4. What did you do?

TheGabster Tue 22-Jul-08 17:06:58

Well, not sure if this is good advice or not as can only pass on my experience (just a mum, not a professional), but the mid-wives in the hospital gave me a dummy for my DS at 3 days!! It was a tiny nuk one for newborns mind.

G

pedilia Tue 22-Jul-08 17:08:19

DD4 (4 week) has had a dummy since she was about 2 days old, it soothes her as she wants to suck all the time

mrsdavros Tue 22-Jul-08 17:54:44

Hi again Woodmill! Yes mine had a dummy after about two weeks or even before - we went on a rescue-our-sanity shopping trip to Mothercare at this point. It looked huge to me but he took to it like he'd been sucking one in the womb and wondered where it had gone.

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 19:40:11

they are suitable from birth so you dont have to wait a certain amount of time before giving it. Breastfeeding mums are advised to wait 4 weeks or so before giving a dummy as it may interfere with building a milk supply although some mums give it before then with no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now