Talk

Advanced search

does climbing out mean time to lose the cot bed sides?

(7 Posts)
olivo Sat 19-Jul-08 20:07:15

dd has finally manged to totally scare the hell out of me by climig out of her cot bed; she hasnt quite made it but twice this evening wouldn't settle and i found her with her leg right over balancing on the top. is it time to take the sides off? will this make it difficult to put her in a travel cot in 2 weeks time when we go away? sorry for so many questions but it has caught me by surprise!

glasgowgal Sat 19-Jul-08 23:36:19

Yes. She'll have less of a fall and therefore injury if you remove them. However, if she is still very young and would be likely to fall whilst sleeping it may be a better idea just to be in the general vicinity as she is going to sleep so that you can step in if you hear her trying to get out.

merryandmad Sun 20-Jul-08 11:48:27

My dd has scaled the cot once- during the day when I put her down for a nap and she obviously did not want to go. She settles really well in her cot at night so we are leaving it a few weeks to see if she does it again.
Are there any spare beds availible when you go away? Could you use bed sides etc?

olivo Sun 20-Jul-08 21:09:58

thanks for your advice. i put a spare duvet there last night, just in case, but she didnt get out. tonight she just went to sleep straight away so maybe it was just a one off - i will hold my breath and wait and see if it happens again. she'll have to sleep with me when we're away if not in travel cot and while we're away, we'll be picking up a guard thing we've been given so i wil have that to try when we come back. thanks again for your help.

Guadalupe Sun 20-Jul-08 21:14:17

Gawd I have been stressed with this. Ds2 is 17 months and began to pop out of the cot every night. We tried a travel cot as they are much deeper but no, straight over the top.

He is doing his second night in the toddler bed with a stairgate on the door but he has been furious and cried and cried so I had to rock him to sleep. Normally he settles himself very quickly. Sigh.

<glugs gin and tonic>

olivo Mon 21-Jul-08 12:34:52

nightmare guadalupe! I'm hoping to keep dd in there for a while longer but have been out looking at beds today!

dinkystinky Mon 21-Jul-08 15:01:32

DS scared the hell of us over the weekend during his afternoon nap at his grandma's by climbing out of his travel cot, opening the door, walking across the landing, down the stairs and into the living room - all in his grobag! He managed to escape twice from the travel cot before finally going to sleep (we had to post his grandma as sentry at the top of the stairs).

We've still got him in his cot at home (as is much deeper and he's never managed to get out of it) but suspect we'll have to move to a toddler bed soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now