Talk

Advanced search

When is it ok to let babies sleep on their front?

(11 Posts)
FurryFox Fri 11-Jul-08 20:05:21

DD2 is 6.5 months and is constantly rolling on her front to get to sleep and during sleep. Up until now I keep putting her back onto her back but in the mornings and after naps she is nearly always on her front. She has not yet mastered rolling back onto her back so gets stuck and frustrated when she wakes. She sleeps in a grow bag btw.

When can babies (if at all?) be allowed to sleep on their tummies? DD1 never rolled onto her front to sleep until she was well over a year so not sure if I should be leaving her to sleep on her front on keep turing her back which usually disturbs her? TIA smile

PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 20:07:30

I think as soon as they can roll over, then it's ok for them to sleep on their fronts

Desiderata Fri 11-Jul-08 20:08:04

At six months, she should be over the danger-zone, and if that's her natural position, I guess you'll have to accept it.

I'm not sure about front-sleeping and a gro-bag, though. does she love it/need it?

FurryFox Fri 11-Jul-08 20:10:59

Not sure if she needs the gro bag tbh, she's had one since a few weeks old as it always helped dd1 when she kicked off the covers, thought dd2 would be the same. Think I am concerned because she can't get herself back on her back if she needed/wanted to.

ilovemydog Fri 11-Jul-08 20:11:11

Definitely not an expert, but seem to recall being told by the HV that if they get into a position themselves, after 6 months, they have the ability to get themselves out.

Agree with Desiderata - not sure about the grow bag though.

meep Fri 11-Jul-08 20:11:19

dd turned over at about 10mo - and I found it tough to leave her be and not flip her onto her back. But she is happily tummy sleeping now - and is still in a grobag

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 11-Jul-08 20:12:22

as far as I understand if they can get themselves onto their front it is ok.

katpotat Fri 11-Jul-08 20:18:17

Gave up turning my wee one over...she is obviously comfy on her tummy, I don't use a grow bag though smile

meglet Fri 11-Jul-08 20:19:32

DS would roll onto his front from 20 weeks, in his gro-bag, shortly afterwards he mastered rolling back again. I just took a deep breath and let him do it. I did worry a lot though.

Seona1973 Fri 11-Jul-08 20:21:28

from 6 months you can let them sleep in any position they like. Ds is still in a grobag at 22 months so I dont know if that makes a difference at all (and he sleeps on his tummy a lot). What would be wrong with sleeping on their tummy in a sleeping bag?

FurryFox Fri 11-Jul-08 20:34:37

Thanks for your replies smile Think I will just start leaving her then as it's how she seems to be happiest. Hopefully she'll figure how to roll back soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now