Talk

Advanced search

new cot mattress for second baby necessary?!

(6 Posts)
DebRiz Fri 11-Jul-08 08:53:40

My DH and I are trying to decide whether we need to get a new cot mattress for baby 2 (i'm 33 wks pregnant at mo) and not sure what the right thing is to do. The advice from FSIDS is a bit vague but it does make you think that just for peace of mind maybe we should....
The mattress we currently have was near top range M&P one that been used for about 18 months and is in perfectly good condition.

HaventSleptForAYear Fri 11-Jul-08 09:04:16

We didn't bother.

But there is no advice about mattress changing here.

I would feel awful chucking out a lightly used mattress.

Where did you store the mattress? Obviously if it was down in the cellar growing mould I might re-consider grin

scootermum Fri 11-Jul-08 09:07:50

We didnt bother either..I know they say to ALWAYS get a new mattress if using a second hand cot but I assumed that meant if you were getting a second hat cot from elswhere not one you'd used for a sibling..Unless its really loppy obv..

uberalice Fri 11-Jul-08 09:09:12

I emailed FSID about this before DS2 was born, saying that our mattress had never been used without a waterproof sheet and still looked brand new, and this was their reply:

The exsisting mattress you have will be acceptable to use for the new baby as it has never been used without a waterproof cover. The most recent research showed that soiling and or vomit that could soak in to the fibres of a non waterproof mattress was found to colonise into bacteria and "remain for a very long time". This would then be an increased risk of SID when the baby was mobile enough to sleep on its front. However your mattress, being waterproof and with no tears would not have been subjected to this risk.

sleepycat Fri 11-Jul-08 09:09:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DebRiz Fri 11-Jul-08 09:13:20

we've only just moved DD1 out of the cotbed into a bed so its not been stored anywhere dodgy!!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now