Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep does your 11 week old need?

(6 Posts)
baltimore97 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:25:10

DD2 cannot last much more than 1hr 20mins awake. Often it is less. She needs about 5-6hrs sleep a day and still sleeps 11-12hrs at night (she does feed in the night!).

DD1 didn't favour much sleep, and so I can't get my head around how much DD2 sleeps. Is she unusual? How will she find the time to learn stuff and develop? How much sleep do your babies of roughly the same age need?

Podster Fri 11-Jul-08 20:59:40

I put my dd down roughly every hour and a half and each nap is about an hour and a half so works out about 3 a day or 3 longer ones and a shorter one then bedtime between 6 - 7 pm depending on when the last nap was. I dreamfeed at 11pm and she goes through until about 7am. She is 12 weeks.
Most things I have read about sleep say up until around 3 months max. 2 hours of awake time is usual. I know some days after an hour of being awake my dd looks sleepy and is ready to be put down.
I read The Baby Whisperer and found it quite useful and it worked for my baby, though of course they are all different.
I wouldn't worry about it, when she is ready to sleep less she will.

babyOcho Sat 12-Jul-08 21:15:49

when dd was that age she was v sleepy and max awake time was about 1.5hrs.
even now, 17 weeks, she still needs to sleep after a max of 2 hours.

fadingfast Sat 12-Jul-08 21:36:30

I was planning to post about the very same thing. My dd (12 weeks) still seems to sleep loads and is often only awake for 1 to 1.5 hours at a time during the day. At night she will do 7.30/8pm to 7am or sometimes 8am without a night feed. This is so completely different to ds at the same age that I was beginning to worry that she was sleeping too much, but I think it's just the way she is (and I am very,very grateful for the nights!).

baltimore97 Sun 13-Jul-08 20:23:40

DD2 was managing on one night feed but I think she's having a bit of a growth spurt and is fitting two in at the moment.

Glad to hear that she is not the only baby of her age who can't keep going for long. I keep on thinking she can't be tired already! But she is! I remember DD1 managed whole days with a 10min catnap at the same age....they are all so different..

Pollyanna Sun 13-Jul-08 20:29:05

a typical day for my 13 week old would be -

get up at 7.30.
sleep from from 8.30-11.30am,
sleep from 2.30-3.30
sleep from 10pm-7.30am.

so maybe 13 hours sleep in a day, possibly with one or two shorter naps in.(He has done this today).
He usually sleeps all morning, but I think that is because he is awake all evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now