Talk

Advanced search

My 12wk old is already rolling over completely onto his belly...

(5 Posts)
bigmommakatie Sat 05-Jul-08 08:58:23

For the last week he has been rolling over completely onto his belly and up onto his elbows. He is only 12wks but is confident at it and seems to have mastered it. We are worried about him doing it at night and getting into trouble. He sleeps in his own room in a cot bed and so far has not rolled over onto his belly but only on his side. It might only be a matter of time though. If he was a bit older we prob wouldn't worry so much... please help!

TrinityRhino Sat 05-Jul-08 09:06:15

I was always told that as soon as they can roll themselves onto their front then you can leave them like it if they do it in the night
he will soon learn how to rool back too

also if he is getting onto his elbows then he will do that in the night if he needs to

stairs Fri 11-Jul-08 00:10:48

My ds1 was rolling onto his tummy at 12 weeks and as a new mum I was terrified, and hovered by him all night trying to roll him back (sobbing) for a couple of nights. I even tried to explain to him how dangerous it was - that is how stressed about it I was!! In the end I rang the FSID - who write the guidelines about cot death. The very nice, patient woman said that he was clearly a strong, agile boy and that research would suggest that if children can roll independently their risk is greatly reduced. She also said that she had seen the 'positioners' that are for sale but would not buy them as they are unresearched and would add to the cot stuff (such as bumpers) which they know are dangerous. She just said to put him on his tummy to start with, gently roll him back if he was on his tummy and I happened to be passing, but certainly not to keep on doing it specifically.

In the end, I was too knackered to do anything else than take her advice. DS2 is now rolling at a much more sensible age of 6 months! DS1 was so keen to get on with moving and hasn't really stopped since - you have my sympathy!

Try not to worry, strong children are much safer than those who are placed on their tummies but that can't hold their head up independently.

Sazisi Fri 11-Jul-08 00:17:03

If you are losing sleep with worry over it, maybe you can move his cot into your room?
I was too much of a worrier to have any of mine sleeping in a separate room when they were tiny.

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 00:56:47

The FSID guidelines actually recommend that your baby should sleep in your room for 6 months now. Something to do with the sound of your breathing help regulate their breathing (apparently babies breath in time with mum) Ds2 only went into his room about 2 months ago, and he is 9 1/2 months now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now