Talk

Advanced search

Baby constantly wakes, anyone tried whitenoise cds?

(15 Posts)
littlerach Tue 01-Feb-05 11:14:10

DD2 is 6 months and constantly disturbs during the night. She doesn't always waken fully, but grumbles away until we see to her.

She also always seems to wake between 8pm and 10.30pm and scream for an hour or two, driving DH and I insane!

my mum suggested some kind of whitenoise at night, has anyone tried this?

any other suggestions please!!!

pabla Tue 01-Feb-05 11:17:33

I think you are supposed to try this technique very early on for it to work. I bought one of these cds and tried it with two of my kids from when they were a few weeks/few days old and it didn't work for me. However, if you want to try it, I'm happy to pass on the cd to you!

melsy Tue 01-Feb-05 11:18:47

There was a whole thread on this last year, and it was were some had recorded hairdryers and hoovers!!! I think I remeber it working. I used to just put them on LOL!! This is taking me back some ! U have my sympathys , I know its a bind. Other than that have u any routine or are you quite relaxed how and when you do things?? Sometims the day sleeps (if not enuff ) can affect night waking.

littlerach Tue 01-Feb-05 11:24:14

we do have a routine which we follow as much as we can. and she always goes to bed awake. during the day she generally naps 40 mins mid morning, 1 hr at lunch, then 40 mins before 4pm. unfortunately she is getting into a cycle of becoming overtired because of the lack of night sleep (so am I!!)

Pabla that would be fantastic, how much would you like for it?

Advice greatly received, all ideas welcome!

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Feb-05 11:29:45

We use white noise machines - you can get them at Sharper Image. It's a bit of a faff, but it means that when we travel, the world still sounds the same to them, which helps them sleep.

DS1 also sleeps through fireworks and all that, which is a godsend.

A radio tuned to static can also do the job.

Earlybird Tue 01-Feb-05 11:35:55

We also have a sound machine that plays white noise, and got it from Sharper Image too. It has been a godsend for us as we live in a small flat. When we put the machine on, it blocks out all noise, so if the phone/doorbell rings it's no big deal. Also means that I can watch telly, make noise in the kitchen or chat to a friend without disturbing dd. But, as others have said, they do become dependent on it, and that means you must take it with you when you travel. Ours also has a cd player/radio which means dd can listen to "her music" in her room.

pabla Tue 01-Feb-05 11:40:29

littlerach, you can have it for free, I'm not planning to have any mor babies!

Hopefully you already know or someone can tell you how to forward your details to me and I'll post it to you.

littlerach Tue 01-Feb-05 12:02:24

Thanks for all your replies, Pabla, I will CAT you now, that is so kind of you.

Still happy for any other ideas about what to do when she wakes up at night!

wilbur Tue 01-Feb-05 12:26:38

We used an old-fashioned alarm tick tock clock (turn the alarm off!) wrapped in a pillowcase which seemed to soothe ds and dd, but again, this was from the time they were very small so I don't know what effect it would have on a 6 month old. The advantage is that it goes on all night so if your dd stirs but likes the noise she might drift back to sleepon her own. Good luck!

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 12:35:19

If she's not fully awake and just grumbling, I'd say don't 'see to her'. Wait till she's really calling for you. I set myself up for nearly a year of sleep hell with DD by responding to her too quickly (didn't help that we all share a room). It was as simple as that. After a few nights of the wimp's version of CC, she finally started sleeping through at about 11 months, and now (12mo) sleeps 13-14 hours.

littlerach Tue 01-Feb-05 13:39:46

if we don't get up to her, it becoimes full blown crying and cab take a while to settle her back don.

littlerach Tue 01-Feb-05 18:44:18

Have Cat ed you, Pabla, hope you have received it.

pabla Tue 01-Feb-05 20:35:07

haven't got it yet I'm afraid. I'll check again tomorrow and let you know.

pabla Thu 03-Feb-05 17:00:12

littlerach, the cd is in the post. Hopefully you'll get it in a day or two.

littlerach Thu 03-Feb-05 18:59:40

Excellent, and thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now