Talk

Advanced search

strategies to get a 2.6 yo to sleep by herself, please

(4 Posts)
Amalur Tue 01-Jul-08 09:05:45

Hi, I hope someone can give me some ideas. Our 2.6 year old has always fallen asleep with one of us in the room. This takes usually around an hour so it is quite tedious to sit there and eats away at our evening. We also have a 3month old so when I am on my own it can be quite difficult to manage bedtime routines. Does anyone have any ideas/proven methods to get her to stay by herself in her room and fall asleep without much drama? She sleeps in a single bed in a grobag. She hasn't got a teddy or blanket. We do the usual milk and stories before turning light off. Any suggestion will be very gratefully received.

Elk Tue 01-Jul-08 09:20:34

Would she like a story tape or music playing, and leave a bedside light on. Then before I go to bed I turn off the light and music/tape.

hellabell Thu 03-Jul-08 19:44:08

Our 2.8 year old DD has recently got much better at going to sleep by herself, after several recent changes: she now has big bed so can stretch out under duvet, she dropped her lunchtime nap, and we leave a dim lamp on after her stories so she can look at her books for a bit longer by herself (she was v. pleased about this)... we sit downstairs and after 10 mins hear loud thump of books falling onto floor as she has dropped off! Not perfect though, she still uses dummy and can wake up in night...

Amalur Wed 09-Jul-08 21:54:17

Thanks for these suggestions. Will try the music/story tape and light as we had none of this and try to start retreating from her side gradually. Anyone has tried the gradual retreat method with success?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now