Talk

Advanced search

When did you put DS/DD in his/her own room?

(70 Posts)
Gangle Sat 28-Jun-08 15:45:34

DS is 13 weeks and in the next few weeks will probably outgrow the moses basket and need to move to his cot. His cot is currently in his bedroom which is right next to ours but I was planning to move it into our room until he was at least 6 months old, however, a friend of mine with a baby the same ages says she is going to move her DD into her own room at that point. I've read it can be very hard to settle a 6 month old in their own room so better to do it early as possible but I just feel DS is too little to be left in a big dark room all alone plus it reduces the risk of cot death if the baby shares with his parent. Any thoughts on best age to do it?

MamaG Sat 28-Jun-08 15:48:45

I waited until 6m with both mine

no probs

Seona1973 Sat 28-Jun-08 19:55:28

DD was about 7 months and ds was 8 months when they moved to their own room. They had started in the crib and then moved to the cot in our room. There were no problems with moving either of them and they settled into their own rooms fine. I wouldnt hae done it any sooner than 6 months due to the increased risk of cot death.

Seona1973 Sat 28-Jun-08 19:56:29

p.s. having them in the same room makes night feeds much easier as you can just feed them in bed (whether breast or bottle feeding)

giddykipper Sat 28-Jun-08 19:58:56

You're right about the guidelines. I moved DS into his own room at about 12 weeks though and we all slept much much better!

springerspaniel Sat 28-Jun-08 20:18:36

DS is now nearly three. We were fully aware of the cot death advice. It never made sense to me when I was pregnant so read the one (and I think only) paper on the bit about 'own room.' Still didn't make sense. The other stuff (not too hot, smoking, not on sofa etc.) made perfect sense.

After 5 days of virtually no sleep due to waking every time DS moved, we popped him next door. Was still close enough (and walls paper thin enough) to hear him pump but gave us a bit more of a chance to sleep.

Next one due in just over a week (eek) and will probably do the same.

lazyhen Sun 29-Jun-08 18:48:19

Our DD was in her own room at 2 weeks. She was a really noisy sleeper. I never knew WHY it would reduce of cot death if they were in with parents (what would you hear? choking?)

We had a sleep apnoea alarm just for peace of mind but I had great Mummy senses and would wake up as soon as she needed me. I was still BF and would just go in there to feed. She's always been an excellent sleeper, and slept through the night from about 12 weeks (with dream feed).

I liked the fact that we weren't disturbing her either. She's nearly 6 months now and I can't imagine still having her in with us. No way could any marriage activities occur with her snorting around in the room!)

stillovefoxes Sun 29-Jun-08 18:51:52

6 months and dd settled with no problems.

stillovefoxes Sun 29-Jun-08 18:52:39

And lazyhen, I never understood why sleeping in the same room reduced the rsik either

Clayhead Sun 29-Jun-08 18:54:32

2 years

[think I am the odd one out on this thread...]

FrannyandZooey Sun 29-Jun-08 18:54:37

we co slept until ds was nearly 3 years old and it worked well for us - we mostly enjoyed it

springer the reason babies are safer in your room is that they have difficulty regulating their own breathing when very small
the presence of another person in the room helps to regulate this process and so is protective against SIDS

HTH

mylittlepudding Sun 29-Jun-08 18:59:16

Waited til 9 months, definitely wanted to wait til after 6 months because of SIDS risk. It was another couple of months before I stopped bringing her in to snuggle in the night, and sleep decisions were sadly made for my mental health not her wellbeing.

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 29-Jun-08 19:13:21

I was prepared to keep DS in for longer but he moved out when he started sleeping through, which was at about 5 months. We all slept better that way.

MuffinMclay Sun 29-Jun-08 19:15:18

Ds1 7 weeks
Ds2 day 2

rascal1979 Sun 29-Jun-08 19:42:29

Does anyone know the guidlines for prem babies - ie do you wait til 6mths corrected or 6mths actual age?

My DD is 6.5mths c orrected and I have just moved her into her own room seems to sleep better but stil feeding 2-3 times during the night.....

just a little comcerned I may have been too hasty by moving her into her own room.... she is still ony small 9lb 10oz....

StellaWasADiver Sun 29-Jun-08 19:49:59

My DS is 8 months and I don't plan to move him anytime soon. Maybe around 1 year unless he still wakes in the night.

I cannot understand why people ignore the safety guidelines for reducing the risk of SIDS.

MyDingaling Sun 29-Jun-08 20:04:07

My DD was 7 months old and had no problems sleeping

sweetkitty Sun 29-Jun-08 20:06:56

DD1 - 15 months co slept until about 14 months when she went into her own cot and then her own room no problem at all

DD2 - 13 months co slept until 12 months (had a bedside cot great invention) had to do a bit of not sleep training but nursing strike but she went into her own room no problem.

CathyJo Sun 29-Jun-08 20:07:05

12 days and worked like a treat for all of us. I never quite understood how, unless you are co-sleeping or have the baby right next to your bed, they can hear your breathing anyway.

mum2oneloudbaby Sun 29-Jun-08 20:21:11

6 months no problems but dd had been taking naps in her cot in her room during the day for 2-3 weeks prior to moving her on a night so she was used to the room.

betterhalf Sun 29-Jun-08 20:26:32

My DS is just over 5 months and we are talking about moving him into his own room once he is 6 months. I think I'll sleep worse once he's moved into the other room as every snuffle and noise will have me scurrying in to check on him. At the moment I can just sit up and see that he's ok and go back to sleep. He'll probably be ready to move, but Mummy isn't ready to let him. Oh dear, I really need to get a grip don't I?

baltimore97 Sun 29-Jun-08 20:39:54

DD1 went into own room at 8 weeks - she was a very noisy sleeper and I couldn't sleep a wink, was getting very tired and a bit depressed. DD2 is now 9 weeks and still in with me. She is MUCH quieter at night, and I can actually sleep so I will keep her with us till 6mths

myermay Sun 29-Jun-08 20:42:40

ds1 2 weeks
ds2 3 days

couldn't sleep and we kept waking to every murmer, so put in the next room with doors open

myermay Sun 29-Jun-08 20:43:32

Meant to add, used a movement monitor with both of mine, but still check them constantly!

tab1 Sun 29-Jun-08 20:47:03

dd is 1 this week and still in our room in her cot, wouldn't risk a smaller baby in own room incase of SIDS, it's just not worth the risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now