Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Melatonin - did it work for your little blighter?

(98 Posts)
suzywong Wed 26-Jan-05 22:21:21

goodmorning!

Another morning ripped open at 4am by my ds2.

He is 17 months old and every and I mean every night of his little life he has woken up and roared at 4am. Well actually it is about 6 or 7 times that he has not.

Most of the time he goes back to sleep til 6 - which I can deal with.

We have tried everything and I mean everything. Ds1 was a bad sleeper and we got him in to bad habits so we have learned from our mistakes and been very careful with ds2. Nothing makes a difference to him: not time of going to bed, not milk or breastfeed, not quantity or time of last meal, not cc, not whether or not I'm in the room or dh has to deal with it, not blackout curtains, not anything - please don't suggest anything as we have honestly tried everything even a few Chinese spells from my MIL. It doesn't work.

A wise woman suggested I ask the doctor for Melatonin. Have you tried it on your kids, did it work? How long do you have to give it for?

any advice greatly appreciated before I am committed to the asylum

lou33 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:22:44

worked for mine, and dh too

fimblesfan Wed 26-Jan-05 22:25:17

What is Melatonin?

lou33 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:29:15

Melatonin

Aero Wed 26-Jan-05 22:32:26

Suzy - are you sure you're not raising my ds2???!!! I will be following this with interest - and also am wondering what melatonin is. Have heard the word before ad am wondering where! Our lives are shattered by tiredness and I feel like the world's grouchiest mum atm because of the constant waking and not wanting to settle again and the trouble is that he wakes ds1 and I just feel that he really needs his sleep.
I should be changing my name to 'Oscar the Grouch' (Sesame Street character)!!

CountessDracula Wed 26-Jan-05 22:33:53

try bedtime milk from Waitrose. Milked from cows at the time that they produce most melatonin!

suzywong Wed 26-Jan-05 22:34:54

well it would appear that I am indeed raising both your children, LOL

Ds1 starts kindergarten next week and the poor little chap is going to flake out at best and be a cranky little Sh*t at worst by midday which really isn't fair on him.

I am used to the "situation" I find myself in but I've got a 3.9yr old yawning with bags under his eyes now and it has to stop

lou33 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:35:31

suzy is in australia cd

fimblesfan Wed 26-Jan-05 22:35:55

Thanx Lou33 but are you sure its safe for babies?

suzywong Wed 26-Jan-05 22:35:56

CD you cruel cruel woman!
You know I can't get Waitrose online over here in Australia (God how I miss a good old British supermarket - and French dairy products too)

lou33 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:37:30

its usedon children i dont know how young, but ds2 is 3 and uses it from time to time. Davros is the woman to ask.

Aero Wed 26-Jan-05 22:41:12

Thanks Lou - now where can I get the stuff?! (for me - then maybe I'll sleep through it all!)
CD - will look out for that milk - will gladly try anything.
Suzy, We must have comparable aged families!
Ds1 - 6 (easily wakened)
Dd - 4 (could sleep through just about anything)
Ds2 - 12mths (and not looking like he's going to improve with age re sleeping habits)!

jangly Wed 26-Jan-05 22:47:06

That milk is good - trouble is you have to drink at least 250 mls. Then you have to get up for other reasons!

suzywong Thu 27-Jan-05 07:29:43

bump

cp3 Thu 27-Jan-05 08:40:18

Dear Suzy you are not alone.DD wakes evey nght and gets in with us, she has never really slept through for 2.7 years. And Ds who was angel son now wakes every night screaming at 3.30 on the dot and has done since oct. I knock him out with medised. Its not 8.40 and hes still asleep, this is not usual though. I better go check him. Woops xxxxxx

Bagpuss30 Thu 27-Jan-05 08:47:27

Morning Suzy. I've no advice but I would like a place in the same asylum I think! We've now had 3 weeks of 5 am waking from ds who in turn wakes dd, who is the lightest sleeper on the planet and also going through the terrible twos. She won't be told to go back to bed and throws tantrums if she can't have the light on etc.

Had some mild success by buying some night lights yesterday and last night they both seemed to be sleeping like a dream until ds spoilt it all buy playing noisily in his room at 5 am. Well, at least he didn't come out of his room I suppose. After several attempts to get them both back to bed, which did finally work, we then all over slept until nearly 8am.

dh stormed out of the door on his way to work muttering something about wondering what it's all about and saying that he can't hold it all together for much longer. Oh, I'm also nearly 18 weeks pg as well, and sitting here wondering what the hell we've done....

We've never had any bother with sleep routines before in 4 and a bit years so I'm wondering what I've suddenly done to change it all really.

Just wanted to offer my sympathy and hope you manage to get the sleep you need soon. I will be watching this thread with interest.

suzywong Thu 27-Jan-05 09:19:06

hello you guys
so we have a club, a rather ratty baggy eyed club, but a club nonetheless.

So what is it with these internal bodyclocks of our kids that go off these useless times? I think in the old days natural selection would have bred them out, but they are ours and we love despite the torture.

Medised - well ds2 knocks that back like it's caffeine, nothing has ever made a difference which is why I am considering melatonin.

lou33 Thu 27-Jan-05 09:26:09

dd1 had to have her sleep cycle sorted with phenergan or vallergan, I can't remember which, when she was small, wongster. She was falling asleep at 7 am and staying up all night. A week of medication ,giving it to her when we wanted her bedtime to be, seemed to work.

My gp recommended melatonin for us when we flew to thailand,and gave us phenergan as well. You can use them both at the same time.

jangly Thu 27-Jan-05 09:26:59

Suzywong - it does say on that link website that Lou put up, that melatonin should not be given to "healthy children, who produce it in abundance".

jangly Thu 27-Jan-05 09:28:43

Of course, its different when a gp recommends it!

lou33 Thu 27-Jan-05 09:37:33

wouldn't children who have trouble sleeping not be producing it in abundance though?

jangly Thu 27-Jan-05 09:41:54

I know. But that web site is put out by people who sell it, so you'd think they would be pushing it where they reasonably can (IFSWIM!)

jangly Thu 27-Jan-05 09:42:33

Oh, I'm just a born worrier!

suzywong Thu 27-Jan-05 09:43:47

La La La La La La
not listening
La La La La La

<gibbers desparately at the thought of not being given drugs for pesky ds2>

Carla Thu 27-Jan-05 09:45:01

Jangly, I tried that milk both last night and the night before. They slept well, but there is one thing that bothers me.

If it's designed to help you sleep well, how come you can use it in the daytime too? To quote from the carton:

Our melatonin levels are very low during daylight hours, so Night Time milk can be used throughout the day in drinks, cereals and cooking, without making you feel sleepy.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but if our Melatonin levels are very low during the day, and this stuff is raises it, surely it must have the effect of making you feel sleepier? Else what's the point of taking it at night?

<<<<confused emoticon>>>>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now