Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried the Pickupputown method - ala tracy hogg?

(12 Posts)
egypt Thu 06-Jan-05 20:40:37

.....think she calls it the kangaroo method though. anyone had any success? dd is waking 1-2 hourly in the night and bf is her desire! driving me mad. cc is too unbearable and tbh, only makes her wake again after just a few mins of falling asleep.

egypt Thu 06-Jan-05 21:15:31

anybody? even though i can't spell....pick.up.put.down!

lockets Thu 06-Jan-05 21:17:11

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Thu 06-Jan-05 21:19:03

it worked for us too, at 4 months and then at 8 months. we liked the tip - once you see baby yawn, put them to bed before the third yawn.

lockets Thu 06-Jan-05 21:20:25

Message withdrawn

egypt Thu 06-Jan-05 21:23:19

oh good. what about tackling the waking in the night though ? did you do the pick up when cried, out down instantly when stopped, pick up again when cried..........and so on for umpteen times until they got the message?

mostly dd goes to bed fine after a bf but i am finding it hard to settle her with a bf IN the night.

blossom2 Thu 06-Jan-05 21:28:56

yeps, we did the same. it does take a few nights. initially it took DD two weeks to get the idea of going to bed and then a few nights for the middle of the night waking.

egypt Thu 06-Jan-05 21:35:58

just to be very pedantic...how long do you leave them to cry when you put them down.? surely its not long as that would be more like cc. but you're not supposed to pick them up immediately are you because they could stop crying after a few seconds if left. somewhere in my brain says wait 30 secs but i dont know if i made that up.

egypt Fri 07-Jan-05 11:26:06

bump

handlemecarefully Mon 10-Jan-05 12:25:27

What does this method involve?

blossom2 Mon 10-Jan-05 12:32:06

I did wait a couple of minutes before rushing to her. But then her room was also at the back of the house so it usually took me that long to get to her.

The first few times, i picked her up and held her and then gradually moved to just stroking her back. I remember the first few nights of doing this for a couple of hours before she slept.

the thing with sleep training of any kind, is that it takes a couple of weeks to work and don't expect anything to happen on the first night. But keep with it, and it does work.

hippi Mon 10-Jan-05 12:49:49

Can anyone tell me how you deal with a scared, screaming two year old.

On New Years Eve 2005 our next door neighbours woke our daughter by setting off fireworks right below her bedroom window at midnight. Since then she does not want to go in her room, and will not settle in her own bed. We have put a stair gate by her door so she can't get out of her room , left the a reading light on and left her to scream - last night she screamed for about 25 mins before I cave d in and went to up to her, where i cuddled her asked her to lay down which she refused. I then left her room again after 20 minutes of hysterics, her shouting to me she was sorry, she was a good girl, and that she wanted a cuddle, she fell asleep. I have shown her out of the window rthat fireworks have gone, but ahe keeps saying to anyone she meets that fireworks are scary they go bang. I have told her that they won't hurt her which she repaets but hasn't taken in. Every night after either cuddling her to sleep or letting her scream she wakes up screaming, and i've been cuddling her to sleep again. She then wakes up at about midnight screaming to get out, and because both me and my partner work she usually ends up in our bed, until she is in a deep sleep where she is carried back to her own room. It's nearly 2.30 ish before me and my partner get any proper sleep. We haven't changed her bed time routine, which icludes a milky drink, bath, story, kiss goodnight etc. She was good before the firework incident even putting herself to bed! We have tried playing soothing music and putting her to bed later- nothing works. I try to be reasuring but when you're tired its really difficult!

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated - she's the only child at the moment but a 2nd one is planned therefore we cannot have her sleeping in our bed indefinately - or should i just be patient grit my teeth and see out these screaming fits at bed time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now