Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried Tracy Hogg's dream feed?

(27 Posts)
tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 08:42:43

We tried it last night but she only drank one ounce as she was sleeping so soundly.... I thought they were meant to drink whilst asleep?! Anyone had any experience they could share?

beansprout Thu 06-Jan-05 09:24:57

I have tried it, although here it's referred to as "get as much down his neck as possible so he will sleep for longer". He doesn't really feed in his sleep but I have roused him enough to feed and then he has settled again quite quickly. Usually though, I don't like to tempt fate and just go with the flow!!

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 09:29:19

what is it?

ghosty Thu 06-Jan-05 09:38:13

Nailpolish, it is when you get the baby up in the late evening (say 10ish) and feed it without waking it.
I tried it, but preferred the GF approach of actually waking the baby, changing her nappy, having a little play etc. I used to wake DD at 10.30pm (just in time for Parkinson on NZ tv ), feed her and play with her while I watched Parky then used to put her back down at 11.30pm.
I did try the Dream feed a few times but found that DD wouldn't feed that well at all ... it was a bit hard to get a nipple in her mouth while she was snoring !

PicadillyCircus Thu 06-Jan-05 09:39:40

I used the dream feed with DS - he used to stay completely asleep and had a good feed. And he then stayed asleep for longer. SO I would recommend it .

tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 09:40:51

from the book's description it's when you feed the babe more often (she suggests a feed at 6 and 8) then feed them whislt they are asleep at around 10:30. Because they are relaxed they don't need burping and I guess it helps when you want to cut that feed out as babe isn't really waking up. However, I wouldn't take my advice on it as it failed miserably last night!!!

bongobum Thu 06-Jan-05 09:51:16

Don't worry if you can't tweety we tried this with my DS who is now 7 months and it didn't work a few times then we kept trying and we got a good run of about 2 weeks of dream feeds and him taking quite a bit then it stopped and you couldn't even wake him up. I tried changing his nappy, tickling his feet, lying him on the carpeted floor - nothing! IN the end we left him, not on the carpeted floor might I add and that was the first night he went through the night not waking till 6am following morning. How long will she go if you don't feed her?

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 09:53:06

my 11 wk old dd would never do that! she sleeps with her thumb in her mouth and if she wakes she just sucks her thumb and goes back to sleep. if she is hungry she wouldnt go back to sleep, she would cry to tell me she is hungry. if she wasnt hungry she would just spit the milk out, if i did manage to get it in her mouth.

i take it the reasoning is to give a feed just before you yourself go to bed, so baby sleeps til the morning.

and i also assume its a feed given asleep, using the sucking reflex. would baby not wake up when being burped though? i suppose it takes practice.

all very interesting, though

tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 09:57:44

bongobum - she'll go from 11-12 till 5-6ish but the problem is that she appears to start her "big sleep" at around 9 ish, so we'd find ourselves working hard to wake her and then it'd take 2 hours to get her back to sleep, so we'd be exhausted anyway! that was the reasoning that if she fed when asleep it'd mean we could start our sleep 2 hours earlier!

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 09:59:14

hi tweety

how old is your baby?

tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:04:52

she'll be 7 weeks tomorrow nailpolish...

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:08:53

awwwww, 7 wks is lovely! is she smiling yet?

it sounds like you are doing a great job, and this dream feed sounds great, a nice gentle thing to try with young babies.

i for one will be trying it if baby here ever gets that thumb out of her mouth!

tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:11:37

Thanks nailpolish, I love babies when they are young!!!! She started smiling at 5 weeks, usually at her daddy or her big bro!

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:16:26

my dd smiled too at 5 wks, earlier than her big sis. i think, like your dd, its because they have older siblings and get more interaction. well, i tell myself that anyway.

i wish they would stay small and tiny-babyish for longer though it goes too quick

tweetyfish Thu 06-Jan-05 10:22:56

They really do grown quick - I woke up one day when DS was 2ish and it hit me like a ton of bricks that he really wasn't a baby anymore - must be good at fooling myself as he's as tall as most 4 year olds!

Gracesmum Fri 14-Jan-05 04:39:02

hi all, new to this site and loving it. tracy hogg is my guru. i used to cluster feed at 6pm + 8pm, put dd to bed then dream feed just before i went to bed about 11pm. Worked like a charm and she used to sleep through till 5 or 6am.

MollyMooMin Wed 16-Mar-05 12:23:35

Hi! I'm a new mum & new to mumsnet, & this may sound really daft -
I've read about this dreamfeeding & it sounds good.. BUT, my 7 wk old DD takes 7oz every 6 hours. If I was to feed her at 6pm, 8pm I'm sure she would explode! SO, I take it you don't give them the full 7oz, you must have to split the 7oz overthe two feeds? Sorry if I'm sounding thick!! Plus, she's such a light sleeper she would wake as soon as i lifted her!

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 16-Mar-05 12:49:51

I used the dream feeds, dd slept through fro two weeks old, could not recommend it enough!

oooggs Wed 16-Mar-05 16:36:34

Mollymoomin, I would feed at 6pm and then dream feed when you go to bed, say 10.30pm. As your DD feeds are well spaced, cluster feeding probably won't work for her but dream feeding might.

I found it a great method of getting a longer nights sleep.

lucykatie Wed 16-Mar-05 19:56:59

HI MOLLYMOOMIM......I WOULD TRY DREAM FEEDING HER WHEN YOU AND YOUR LOVELY DH GO TO BED.

YOU HAVE SAID AND I HAVE WITNESSED THAT SHE SLEEPS SOUNDLY SO SHE MAY NOT WAKE UP AS SHE IS USUALLY ASLEEP. IF YOU DO DREAM FED HER AND IT WORKS YOU COULD GET THAT WELL EARNED LIE IN AND NOT HAVE FRIENDS ROUND FOR CUPS OF TEA FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.

bunny3 Wed 16-Mar-05 20:35:23

Is a cluster feed when you get as much milk in them as poss between 6 and 8 pm?

MollyMooMin Wed 16-Mar-05 20:37:12

Thanks,OOOGGS. That was a great help. I'll give it a go only i worry about trying different things in case i "upset the apple-cart"! But, anything for some sleep!
As for you LucyKatie, haven't you got some worrying of your own to do? (did the cream work?)

lucykatie Wed 16-Mar-05 22:40:29

CREAM WORKED A TREAT, THANKS FOR LENDING IT TO ME, IT DID HAVE ONE OF YOUR HAIRS[PUBIC] IN IT THOUGH SO I HAD TO PICK IT OUT!!!!

HOW DID DREAM FEED GO, DID YOU TRY IT?
DID YA GET SOME SLEEP?

oooggs Thu 17-Mar-05 06:33:08

Did the dream feed work??????

Kiwicath Thu 17-Mar-05 07:17:26

Absolutely. Did it from birth although don't recommend the GF route as in waking fully, cold face cloth or any such like. Lift, change if you want, and plug him in. Don't fuss if they don't drink loads. DS went thru stages of having only a small amount to having heaps and back to only a bit again. He slept thru 7pm-10pm-7am from 6 weeks and I stopped the dream feed at 7 months without missing a beat. Worked for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now