Talk

Advanced search

Is 14 weeks too young to sleep alone???

(25 Posts)
Pheebe Mon 03-Jan-05 19:27:13

I think I just need a bit of reassurance here but we're thinking of putting ds1 in his own room now. he has his daytime naps in there and now his crib in our room just seems too small for him although he sleeps fine there waking just once for an early feed if at all. We have an angel monitor although he has no health problems. I'm not even sure what I'm worrying about! thanks in advance anyway

puddytats Mon 03-Jan-05 19:30:22

Ds Went into his own room at 6 weeks. HE started off in moses basket in cot then after a couple of weeks went into cot only. Was not an easy decision but found we slept better for it!

popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 19:31:32

While considering this, it might be beneficial to bear in mind the cot death guidance of sleeping in parents' room until 6 months.
Although I know this is not practical for everyone

TracyK Mon 03-Jan-05 19:34:50

we put our ds in his big cot in his own room at 10 weeks - he was fine. Much better all round as I was awake half the night waking everytime he moved.

Tommy Mon 03-Jan-05 19:46:57

My HV suggested I put DS1 in his own room at 8 weeks - I was really surprised but he was fine - we had a monitor and did all the other stuff on cot death guidance. No problems - in fact - he's only just started not wanting to sleep on his own and wanting to sleep with us (he's 3 next week)

myermay Mon 03-Jan-05 19:48:38

Message withdrawn

CountessDingDongDrac Mon 03-Jan-05 19:49:48

My dd went into her own room the second night home from hospital after keeping us awake impersonating a hedgehog most of the first night. I never worried about it, I had a monitor and she was right next door.

NameChangingMancMidlander Mon 03-Jan-05 19:51:57

DD went into her own room in a normal cot at 10 weeks old, she was co-sleeping up until then as she HATED her moses basket and we'd do anything for a quiet night

There was never any option of keeping DD in our room when she went into a cot as there was no space in our room for the cot. DD's room was next to ours and so we just kept both doors ajar and the monitors on so that we could hear her and respond quickly if need be.

HappyNewCardigan Mon 03-Jan-05 19:53:24

Go with how you feel - if you sleep better having him next to you - and he sleeps well - then this sounds perfect

mishi1977 Mon 03-Jan-05 19:55:46

hi pheebe

i put my ds in his own room at 8 weeks with the angel monitor and i thought it was great as i was reassured by the breathing pad, Am sure ur ds will be fine..its more us who loose sleep over the move
I think its better when they r younger before they become too aware of u being in the same room iykwim

good luck
mishi

Merlin Mon 03-Jan-05 20:19:35

My DS went into his own room at 5 weeks. Initially we put his carrycot (which he had been sleeping in our room) in his cot for about a week just to familiarise him and then straight into his cot. We had no problems - had the monitor on and everything was fine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Portree Mon 03-Jan-05 21:06:04

Ds was in his big cot in his room at 12 weeks and we all slept much better as a result.

Pheebe Mon 03-Jan-05 21:07:11

Thanks everyone. I think we'll take the plunge and see how he likes it. If it doesn't suit he can always come back in with us for a bit longer. Thanks for all the support

bonkerz Mon 03-Jan-05 21:09:11

ds slept in his cot from 3 weeks. Did start by having him next to me in moses basket but found i didnt sleep and he woke up too muich when feeding so moved him into his own room and when he needed feeding i fed in chair and rocked him gently back to sleep!!!!Will be doing same with this baby when it arrives much to dh horror!!!!!

lulupop Tue 04-Jan-05 09:00:31

ditto bonkerz. I found having the moses basket next to the bed just meant I was constantly awake - whenever baby snuffled I'd be bolt upright, and then after feeding they seemed to "know" I was there and not go back to sleep quickly.

They both went into the cot in their rooms at 4 weeks. I then found that we all slept much better - I still wake practically every time DD turns over (she's 8 months now), but can go back to sleep if that's all it is, whereas before I kept thinking she'd be wanting a feed any minute.

If you don't mind having the baby in with you though, then don't change things just for the sake of feeling you "should". I know people who's had the cot in their bedroom for 18 months! God knows how they ever get any bedroom action going!

galaxy Tue 04-Jan-05 09:14:53

dd slept in her own room from 10weeks and on a different floor from us. Felt guilty but from day 2, dh couldn't cope with her in our room snuffling all night so i spent the 1st 9 weeks sleeping in the lounge with her.

kama Tue 25-Jan-05 00:42:01

Message withdrawn

Kiwicath Tue 25-Jan-05 12:30:16

My husband works from 4pm-4am so was finding he would wake us all up when showering/coming to bed. Jake was in his own room in the big cot from 5 weeks and was sleeping from 7-10.30-7 from 6 weeks. It just seemed to suit us all this way. Had monitor turned up to max for a while though.

Amanda3266 Tue 25-Jan-05 12:37:29

Hi there,

Just looked at the Dept. of Health guidelines which don't mention keeping the baby in with you for six months - that's entirely from the Foundation for Sudden Infant Deaths and to do with the theory that there apparently less incidences of SIDS in cultures where rooming in is the norm. They think it's something to do with the baby picking up on your breathing patterns which I suppose makes some sort of sense. However, all this stuff is only guidence and in the end you have to do what you feel happiest with.
Saw a Mum with a new baby this morning who said that she'd heard about rooming in but felt happier with babe in a seperate room and had a monitor so felt secure and happy with that. Do what you think is right and go with your gut instinct. No reason that your baby shouldn't be fine.

Mandy

Mandy

cat82 Tue 25-Jan-05 12:49:32

Hi there pheebe,

We actualy put dd in her nursery in her cot from day 1. Personaly i think it's helped her sleep through the night from a very early age (2.5 mnths for 12 hours) but that's just my point of view.
We had, and still have, a breathing monitor (maybe the angle monitor you have?) which really put our minds at ease.
Like i say we had no problems whatsoever, and i still thinkwe made the right desicion.
Hope it works for you, best of luck!

<scuttles of hoping not to get lynched.... >

poppy101 Tue 25-Jan-05 12:51:25

I have moved ds into his own room, because I felt that we were disturbing him. In a small bedroom next to us, I keep a constant check on temperature of room and that he is fine all night. I also plug the baby monitor in right next to my bed and am alert as soon as he moves. He is now 5 months and moved him into own room about 3 weeks ago, and seems to be doing very well.

pinksofa Tue 25-Jan-05 12:52:09

i am a very light sleeper and ds had his own room from two weeks, it has worked out fine thought the hv was not best pleased but i needed to be able to sleep to be able to parent my child well - happy mummy happy baby - so him having his own room was in his best interests iyswim go with what feels right for your family

Lonelymum Tue 25-Jan-05 12:52:11

Go ahead and do it Pheebe. I don't think any age is too young to sleep alone as long as they are sleeping and from what you say, your ds is.

Amanda3266 Tue 25-Jan-05 12:58:24

Sometimes HV's forget that parents have to sleep too. I roomed in for six months with my baby - he was my first and I was utterly paranoid. However, I don't think I had a really decent night's sleep until I slept in another room.

Mandy

highlander Tue 25-Jan-05 22:59:10

my DS was in his own room from 3 weeks, without a monitor. His noisy sleep was driving me up the wall! I use a monitor now as he's much quieter when he wakes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now