Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First night without a dummy. Taking longer than CC :(

(19 Posts)
Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 22:59:40

Tonight is DD's first night without a dummy and it's been hard work.

Some background:
DD is now 2y 8m, and has only had her dummy for night time sleep for about 18 months or more now, and never during the day unless ill to start with. But as she has been a bit poorly over Christmas she had it to help her with her mid day nap a bit. But as she got better she kept asking for it and it ended up causeing two or three tantrums/strops with her. So we decided that it needed to go - full stop.

So tonight, as first night back from being away over New Year, we thought w'd give it ago. Oddly when going to bed, .ater than normal due to very late nap in car on drive home she actually said she was a big girl and didn't need her bed pants or dummy anymore. Okay. So she didn't have either. To start with all was well as she read her dolly a story, etc.

Then after about 10 minutes she asked for her dummy. We said we'd left them at unlce's house as she was now big girl. Talked about being a big girl and all the good things it means, and about a nice treat for being such a big girl tomorrow. OK.

Few minutes later - tears, more tears and a bit of a tantrum. Treated it a bit like CC with the leaving for extended periods - 2 mins, 3 mins, etc.

All has been quiet in room now or about 15 minutes. Dare I go and check her? Is she asleep?

If so, first night has taken a good half hour or more for her to settle. Part of it might be the changes in routine too, but mainly dummy I fear.

Will tomorrow be easier - for her and us? Did feel mean but trying to keep focused.

MrsWalliams Sat 01-Jan-05 23:01:56

Oh Hulababy - well done!! You are braver than me! DS (3.9) still has his at night. He looks ridiculous but I'm not brave enough to tackle it yet! Moving house next week so will let him settle first.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW - it's GDG but been messing about on Little Britain thread and can't be bothered to change back!

hunkermunker Sat 01-Jan-05 23:04:45

Good luck HB (DS is nearly 9 months and sucks his fingers so I don't have the dummy issue - the fingers issue can be dealt with at some far-distant point in the future!). Hope she's soon swayed by the 'big girl' benefits

Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 23:05:35

I have put it off loads. Only doing now because of the tantrums over it in past week. I felt more mean tonight than I did over doing CC last Christmas.

Am now hoping that I have rounded up all stray dummies from house, and that she won't find any. And that if she wakes in the night it won't be too traumatic either.

And please let it get easier!

Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 23:35:53

She was definitely asleep. I dared to peep

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 01:28:04

Hooray! Glad she was asleep, hope she still is (I should be too...!).

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 09:36:06

Well she woke in the night - well about 5ish I think, and ame into our room as normal. As it's weekend she was allowed to stay No tears, no problems re: no dummy in night.

This morning she has had a choclate and a star from her M&S choclate star chart - just refound it! Which she thought was great. She has told daddy she is a big girl now.

So last night wasn't too bad. Fingers crossed for tonight!

Enid Sun 02-Jan-05 09:38:06

Hula, if its any help, we did this a while ago (but with dd2's bottle rather than dummy) and it went well for a night and then we had a bit of a battle for a week - but it all sorted itself in the end, I'd expect her to be a bit clingier in the day and to be prepared for that, good luck x E

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 09:39:12

Cheers Enid. Will look out for the signs.

Gobbledigook Sun 02-Jan-05 10:03:36

Well done Hulababy! I'm really impressed!

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 22:39:25

Well night two.

DD went to bed at 7:30pm as normal. She did ask for a dummy but I just said we didn't have any. I reminded her that she was a big girl yesterday and slept without one, and of her chocolate star chart treat we have for the morning. We then had a bedtime chat (rather than story) and I left her. 10 minutes later she was asleep

At about 9:30pm she woke ina nightmare - tears, scobbing, screaming, scared. Took a while to settle her - out of the bedroom. But she went back to bed around 10pm, settled after a drink. No asking for a dummy at all. She is again fast asleep.

Blossomhill Sun 02-Jan-05 22:40:41

That's what happened with my dd hula but she was screaming for the dummy. After 2 hrs screaming we gave in and at 5yrs4mths dd still has a bedtime dummy and comfort blanket

mishi1977 Sun 02-Jan-05 22:40:49

aww well done hulababy and tell ur dd all the ladies on mumsnet think shes a very big girl...lol

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 22:42:38

Not sure what DD's nightmare was about at all. She couldn't tell me. I suspect it is a result of over tiredness and over stimulation for the past fortnight TBH. But not over the dummy at least.

Thanks, I will tell her tomorrow. She's my big girl now

chimpie Sun 02-Jan-05 22:53:28

My dd is in her own room for the first night (5 months yesterday) I feel like dragging the cot back in our room. She is sleeping soundly but I can't stop peeping in her room. Help!!!

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 22:54:56

Good luck chimpie. It's so hard when they make leave your room isn't it? I couldn't settle at all the firt night DD wasn't in with us.

marthamoo Sun 02-Jan-05 22:58:38

Keep at it, HB. We ditched ds2's dummy the day after his 3rd birthday (beginning of December) and I was dreading it but it was actually much easier than anticipated (easier than you've found it - no major crying sessions at all). But I would definitely stick to your guns - ds2 hasn't mentioned his for about 3 weeks now and I am so glad he's not got it any more.

SmokedSamN Sun 02-Jan-05 23:04:42

Hulababy, I'm reading your posts with interest as ds1 is 2y9m and still has his dummy at night. Kept putting it off due to moving house twice, plus new baby in between. But I'm starting to feel we should sort it out soon.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 23:04:50

Well so far so good. Only crying session we had was yesterday, and none tonight (only nightmare which is unrelated as far as I can gather). So fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now