Talk

Advanced search

3 month old suddenly waking lots at night - help!

(5 Posts)
lu9months Sat 01-Jan-05 11:51:26

our ds has been waking once for a quick feed once at 3.30/4am since 6 weeks. however, for the last 3 nights, he has woken at 12.30/1.30/and repeatedly throughout the night. if I dont feed him, he does eventually settle himself, and I'm not convinced he's hungry. he is bf with a bottle at 10 ish. during the day I sort-of follow Gina Ford routines and feed times.he seems fine during the day, but uncomfortable and distressed at night. Infacol no help so far...is in a moses basket - could he be outgrowing it? spent new years eve up all night - aaaah! advice please!

winterwarmmummer Sat 01-Jan-05 11:54:45

Don't worry - it will pass.. It will get better and you will have sleep again - I promise.

He could be having a growth spurt, and therefore needs more to eat.

I used to try and squeeze as much food in during the day in order to get as long a night as possible. You could always put in a formula bottle as his last bottle at night as it is harder to digest, but I don't know how this would affect your bf.

TracyK Sat 01-Jan-05 15:02:27

We put our ds in his big cot at 12 weeks and he started sleeping 13 hours a night! pity it only lasted a couple of months.
You will go through phases of them going through the night and other times up 3 and 4 times with teething, colds, growth spurts etc.
My reasoning is - do whatever it takes to get them back to sleep the quickest. for me it was either boob in bed with me or dh giving a bottle in his cot.
I couldn't be arsed with all the rocking/cc ing - I just wanted my sleep.
ds is now almost 10 mo and sometimes sleeps through and sometimes doesn't.

lu9months Sun 02-Jan-05 18:40:09

thanks for that - he had a better night last night. as you say, it goes in phases. am going to try the big cot.

highlander Mon 03-Jan-05 00:00:50

I moved my DS out of his pram at 3 weeks as he kept whacking his hands on the sides and waking himself up. Also, with 3 of us in the bedroom I think he was a bit hot. Since moving him into his own big cot in a cool, dark room (no nightlight) he's pretty much slept from 7pm - 7am with 1 or 2 feeds anytime between 12am and 5am.

Also, you've said he'll settle himself - let him! It's really impt that you don't wake him as he's probably in 'active sleep' - sounds like he's waking but he's not.

Finally, at 3 mo he'll be going through a growth spurt - is he getting enough food during the day? A strict routine such as GF is fine, but don't deny him his grub!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now