Talk

Advanced search

Nighttime coughing - Wet, not dry and wheezing - 5yo

(4 Posts)
ksjazzman Tue 28-Dec-04 22:27:03

My fiance's neice is living with us now, due to a foster care situation. She is 5 1/2 years old, and she goes through phases of nighttime coughing. It started before Winter and the use of the furnace. She will start to cough a few hours after she goes to bed, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes not long at all. She is not short of breath, nor is it a wheezing cough. Occasionally, she will cough so hard that she vomits, but does not "wake up" or cry afterwards. At first, I thought it might be psychological, because her younger sister does the same thing, and when they were staying with their grandmother before coming here, she would give them cough syrup and let them stay up for a while. When this niece started this coughing cycle after coming here, my fiance would go in and give her cough medicine and she would stop. Then, she would stop when you would just go check on her, without giving any medicine. That is what led me to the psychological question; perhaps she would cough louder and louder until you came in, and cough so hard as to make her vomit. Or simply the stress of a new home. After listening more closely tonight, (she coughed and vomited again), I know hers is a wet cough, not a dry one normally associated with Asthma-related issues. And she does not drink milk anytime close to bedtime. So, after that jumble of information, any thoughts?

bakedpotatohoho Tue 28-Dec-04 22:35:05

with any sort of protracted cough, i'd get the GP involved if you haven't already. if she's not waking up, i wouldn't assume it's psychological. it might be a long-running low-level infection.

onlyjoandthethreekings Tue 28-Dec-04 22:40:37

my son coughs at night and it makes him sick,he has asthma, iwould get it checked out, it may help her to know that you care about her and go to the doctors then if it isnt asthma you may find that reassurance works.

ChristmasCracker Tue 28-Dec-04 23:17:15

My dd also has asthma and her nighttime cough always made her vomit, so i would get a professionals opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now