Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

moving from moses basket to cot - help!

(11 Posts)
kateandtoby Tue 28-Dec-04 09:54:39

hi all

don't think this specific topic has been covered yet but sorry if I have missed it.

Our ds is just 3 months. Has been sleeping fairly well in moses basket since 5 weeks - by well I mean goes to bed calmly at 7.30pm after routine , gets woken at 11pm ish for a feed then generally wakes once before morning at around 3/4am. Just over xmas he had dropped the waking 3 times and was going from 11pm to 6.30am - joy!!

But he's really getting too big for his basket so 2 nights ago we moved him into his cot and suddenly he won't go off to sleep so easily - wakes at 10.30 then 1.30 then 3 then 6 .....

we tried to do a bit of a transition - had him napping in there in the day for at least a month ... kept him swaddled in his blanket

but he seems scared and overwhelmed by the cot - I think he misses the sides ...

any advise - can you help???

KristmasBear Tue 28-Dec-04 09:57:23

how about putting the moses basket in the cot for a while? worked for my friend's baby.

TwasTheNightBeforeXmasOwl Tue 28-Dec-04 09:59:03

i dont know if this helps at all but when i transferred dd to her cot, for about a week i still put her in the moses basket but placed it inside the cot..it seemed to work for us.

TwasTheNightBeforeXmasOwl Tue 28-Dec-04 09:59:49

great minds kristmasbear!

mishiclaus Tue 28-Dec-04 10:01:57

hi
as others have said when we moved ds we left him in basket for a week in cot...it just got him used to different room..the other thing we did was get those anti roll things, although 2 towels in a sheet woudl do so that he felt secure as the cots are a lot wider than the baskets so i think he didnt like the fact he had so much space

hoxtonturkey Tue 28-Dec-04 10:44:51

have you got a sheepskin fleece for him to sleep on? we had one in ds' moses basket from the beginning, so when we moved him into his cot we just put him on the fleece as normal, worked really well.'

MrsBigDrumsADrumming Tue 28-Dec-04 10:51:51

as most of the others said...
put dd with the basket into the cot for a while so she could get used to the surroundings and to being alone as it was her own room too as opposed to being in our room. Took about 1 week and she was as happy as she would get She was a bit of a cry baby but that wasn't due to being put into the cot, just to being difficult

kateandtoby Tue 28-Dec-04 11:16:18

thanks for all your messages... have had the basket in the cot for a while now .. perhaps too long... think I will try basket again tonight and then the towel bumper things. may also try putting blanket over his head as he seems to like this too and does often try to do it himself.

doesn't so much cry as groan and get increasingly frustrated... or maybe it's a scared noise...

can't face prospect of return to long long nights when sleeping thro seemed so close...

but thanks all

TwasTheNightBeforeXmasOwl Wed 29-Dec-04 07:17:37

just been thinking about this...your blanket-over-head thing reminded me. dd does this...its frightening sometimes when i come in to see her completely covered but she loves it and i cant stop her (shes nearly one). i wondered if it could be anything to do with the moses basket having a canopy and as you say the sides? i had a blanket fixed to the "open" side of her cot for a while and even now, if shes tired in her buggy say at a friend's house for instance, she wont tend to drift off unless i drape a blanket over the top of the buggy to the front tray. am i right in thinking you can get canopies for cots? sure ive seen them.

sassy Wed 29-Dec-04 08:46:34

Is he in a sleeping bag? Might be worth putting him in one in basket for a few nights then trnsferring into cot, cos he'll still be snug/tight IYKWIM. Also using same sheet/blankets as he was in previous nights in basket may help cos it'll smell familiar. HTH

kateandtoby Thu 30-Dec-04 23:12:24

thanks so much for all the tips... went back to the moses basket and touch wood ds seems to have calmed and gone back to old routine ... dh and I are now planning strategic move into basket next week... we have him in sleep suit with blanket to tuck his arms in and for him to pull over head. Think I am going to put his moses basket matress in cot and bulk around it with towels and possibly a drape. like the canopy idea but can't seem to find one anywhere - not too good at sewing but may attempt to make one!!

will report back next week - it's amazing how terrible it feels when you feel like you are going backwards on the sleep stakes instead of progressing ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now