Talk

Advanced search

HELP: Waking at 3am

(8 Posts)
sad36 Tue 28-Dec-04 08:18:36

My 17mth old DD goes to bed fine at 7 or 7.30pm but has started waking anytime between 1am and 4am. She calls out for a while then starts to get cross and cry or scream. For the past 2 weeks we have tried CC. Very hard to do but we need to get this situation sorted. However it han't made any difference. From the time she wakes up she is awake until we get up at 6.30am (as are we with all the noise and toing and froing to her room). She then has 1 or 2 hours sleep in the day but is permanently tired. I am at my wits end. Are there any other methods to try? I wonder if it has something to do with diet (although even if we give her some milk she refuses to go back to sleep) because she doesn't eat. Beyond half a weetabix for breakfast she merely has 2 small cups of milk and sometimes a breadstick or half a banana during the day. I cannot force her to eat, but wonder if I should cut out the milk so she is really hungry? However she is never desperate for food when she wakes so I dont think its hunger waking her. I am just soooo tired and low.

eldestgirl Tue 28-Dec-04 14:00:58

Hi Sad36,
You have my sympathy! I have a 17 month old too. Until recently he was driving me nuts with much the same thing, and he eats a lot. I seem to have cracked it by blocking out ALL light in his room. I am sure this means that if he does wake up, as he can't see anything, nothing stimulates him and he seems to go back to sleep. Wrapping him up in a half swaddle may also help.
The food issue may be a contributor. I know that the body needs a certain amount of carbs and protein to sleep deeply. Maybe water down her milk and try her with mashed potato or soft pasta in the evening?
I really hope this helps. It's so miserable when they do this to you every night.
Good luck...

deegward Tue 28-Dec-04 14:07:13

Snap going on here too, except my ds2 is 22 months old. Food is an issue here as well, and today we had to leave a restaurant as he was so badly behaved, now he is fast asleep in his bed. I feel like going in and waking him up, to see if he liked it

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Tue 28-Dec-04 14:20:30

HUGE sympathies to you sad36, I have been there at the graveyard hours with boy my boys and it is absolute torture.

I'm certaiin she is hungry, we finally cracked it with our naughty ds2 by filling him up with a big bowl of rice and barley porridge with chicken and vegetables an hour before his BF at night. We also had to do CC to get him to kick the habit of stirring at 4am but we are convinced this really helped him go all through the night. Should have done it many many months ago.

I know how infurtiating fussy eaters can be but you need to try anything for that last meal - even if it's chip butties, you can modify the actual nutrional value later just get her to stock up on carbs.

Good luck and HTH

sad36 Tue 28-Dec-04 15:20:46

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try the high carbs route. She seems to like porridge and also sometimes eats spaghetti so we'll try those tonight. At this stage of exhaustion I'm more concerned by the sleep than the healthy or otherwise diet - we can tackle that later! Plus I'm sure its a viscious circle and if she's relaxed and well rested she'll perk up in other areas. Here's hoping.....
Has anyone resorted to phenergan?

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 00:16:50

that's right sad36, you can sort her diet out later, just get her full of carbs and dozy.

You know you have to be careful with phenergan, it sends 1 in 10 kids hyper.

I know when I was having sleeping problems it used to annoy the hell out of me when people made well meaning obvious suggestions as though I'd never thought of them myself, but another top tip is have your DH/DP go in and sort her out in the small hours rather than you.

Good luck

sad36 Wed 29-Dec-04 07:54:52

Made her bowls of spaghetti, mashed potato and porridge and she only ate the porridge - better than nothing but made no difference to the night. My DH hates CC so if I ask him to go in he is likely to pick her up and cuddle her even though I've asked him not to!
I just keep telling myself its a phase........
Got a bottle of phenergan in the cupboard now though!

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 29-Dec-04 08:02:20

Oh

well try the phenergan then, but not just before she goes to sleep, do it for morning nap or something.

They are littel B&^%%$£ers aren't they about waking in the small hours, sometimes they just bloody do.

Hope you get some respite soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now