Talk

Advanced search

Comfort blankets / transitional objects / loveys / cuddlies - how did your baby adopt hers/his?

(38 Posts)
soppy Mon 29-Nov-04 12:56:01

Trying to get DS attached to something to help with sleep problems / separation anxiety - keep hearing about babies adopting a rag or whatever, but how on earth does that happen?! Does mummy introduce rag to baby, or does baby just bump into rag by chance and take a shine to it?

What did your baby attach her/himself to, and how?

cariboo Wed 01-Dec-04 16:53:56

You can say that again! Unless you want your kids like me, still cuddling a security blanket at 42! (I notice no-one commented on my shameful secret...

SecondhandRose Wed 01-Dec-04 08:01:38

I can't believe you want your children to have these ruddy things. I am now 37 years old and have not broken the habit. Please do NOT encourage your kids with security blankets.

LizP Tue 30-Nov-04 22:11:05

ds1 has a pillow case with buttons on - but only in bed. His button thing started as he used to fiddle with the buttons on my nightshirt while feeding. The pillowcases we had at the time had large buttons on and he transfered to that. We have about six of them so no washing problems. One pillow on our bed usually has one of these covers on to help if he migrates bed at night, Only draw back is he prefers the buttons undone and is always undoing buttons he finds - like all the duvet covers.

sanchpanch Tue 30-Nov-04 21:23:28

my daughter (15 months) has a blankie it is a muslin square, luckily we have a few so can wash regularly, I think it started when i used to feed her i would always have one on her chest to catch any drips etc, then she started to rub it between her fingers, Now she is happy to have any thing as long as she can rub it through her fingers!!!

mummytummy Tue 30-Nov-04 19:40:27

DD1 has a really cute blankie which I bought from Toys R Us. We have never let her take it out with her, but she sucks it when she's asleep. The only problem is we tried to buy a replacement in case it fell apart or something, but could only get a blue one (original is pink) and Daddy thought it was a good idea one day to put blue blankie in the cot with pink blankie and we've never managed to get it back! We put it in her cot when she was a baby, and she just started cuddling it. We do have to wash them once a week, because otherwise they get really stinky - especially when she has a cold!

cariboo Tue 30-Nov-04 14:38:58

I'd only ever admit it to MNers but I still have mine! He shares the bed with DH and me. I think I can count on one hand the number of nights I haven't had him with me. There's not much left of the original blanket, so I've made him into a little pillow.

JanH Tue 30-Nov-04 14:37:09

DS2's was his cotblanket - a soft acrylic blanket with a smooth ribbon round the edge. We actually had 2, blankie was the white one but the yellow one was ok in the dark; and we cut both in half after a while so we could keep one at grandma's and always have a spare.

The white one is pretty grey now and the ribbon is long gone but (sssh) he still sleeps with it at home and he's 11!

fairydust Tue 30-Nov-04 14:34:16

it sort of just came her comforter when she went into a cot at 6mnoths old

fairydust Tue 30-Nov-04 14:33:39

dd has a comfort blanket it's the size ofa cot bed and in thehouse it goes every were with her - it was a lovely cream colour but now is a dirty cream colour = been washed sooooooo many times even had to stop the washer half way once and dry it in the dryer quickly as she was going blue upset about it gone.

luck;ly we no longer have to take it out with us as it's so big it was always under the wheels of the buggy.

have tried several different blankets but none are the same as her blankie.

secur Tue 30-Nov-04 12:27:22

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 30-Nov-04 12:23:33

dd1 has her penguin blankie. someone made it for her when she was a baby, and we didnt actually use it for ages, but from about the age of 10months she got very attached to it. i lost it once at a refuge and dd1 refused to settle. i found it in the garden in the pouring rain (one of the other kids took it out) so had to wash/dry it super quick so she would settle. at the age of 4.5yrs she is still attached to it especially when poorly.

dd2 has a rabbit from the bear factory which we got a few months ago. very attached to it. it was lvoe at 1st sight for her, even tho its a large toy and she trips over it at times, she adores it. she carries it around and its called 'Babbit'. i bought a spare one the other week as i dont think she'd cope if we lost it.

fortnight Tue 30-Nov-04 12:18:51

I also think there may be a genetic link with the comfort objects-my siblings and my uncles had them. My ds never bothered,but dd adopted a blankie at about 10 months-large,fleecey and a pale colour-not what I would have chosen for cleanliness purposes.This was followed by a doll (always undressed),and a really scruffy cuddly toy chick which she spotted at a nearly new sale. And she had so many beautiful toys which never got a look-in!The trio went everywhere with her,and we have lost chicky-babby twice,for months at a time,and then miraculously found him again.It was a bit like dealing with the loss of a pet,I suppose.For that reason a blanket is probably better as it's harder to lose,but I think they usually choose their own.Children who have them are supposedly easier to manage too....

lima Mon 29-Nov-04 13:38:30

and I have my own toy cat, made from sheepskin, from my baby days. She lives in a shoebox in the wardrobe

lima Mon 29-Nov-04 13:36:27

both my ds's are thumbsuckers and both have comfort objects - ds1 has a collection of soft toys and 2 pram blankets (!) and ds2 has a very shabby toy dog and resists all efforts to interest him in something else.

I'm not sure how it happened or why they selected those particular objects. ds1 recently purloined a rather nice cat from ds2 (who showed no interest in it) and added it to his collection

Linnet Mon 29-Nov-04 13:34:25

My dd1 has a little lion that she has to take to bed every night. He comes on holiday with us and everything. she's 7 now but lion has to go to bed with her. She got him when she was 3 for christmas and he came with a bottle of bubble bath. He's looking a bit worse for wear now but because she was older when she decided to attach herself to him he was never taken out of the house. She also has her baby blanket which stays in her bed and also has to come on holiday. It was never taken out of the house either so it's in pretty good shape although starting to wear and get a bit holey.

dd2 is 6 months old and hasn't attached herself to anything yet. She has a snoopy that she loves to play with and a few snuggly things but nothing at the moment that she can't live without. but she sucks her thumb and dd1 didn't so it will be interesting to see if dd2 chooses a seperate comforter when she's older.

I had a little dog, still got her, and she's been sewn up so many times. she has no ears and no nose but she's mine and I love her, she's hidden in my drawer away from my dd's.

fisil Mon 29-Nov-04 13:30:40

Oh yes, and ds slobbers/sucks on it as he goes to sleep - just after he's brushed his teeth, so it's always covered in little white bite marks. Yuck!

Blackduck Mon 29-Nov-04 13:29:35

ds is also a thumbsucker and sucks the end of Mr S.s leg (its got a knot in it he likes...) nothing nicer than having a slobby, smelly leg whacked in your face first thing in the morning....

bakedpotato Mon 29-Nov-04 13:26:58

fisil

nailpolish Mon 29-Nov-04 13:26:41

the world would end if 'bada' got lost - love the cat tag tip - mind if i pinch it?!

luckily dd2 is a thumbsucker so cant lose that

fisil Mon 29-Nov-04 13:24:02

And yes, he's a thumbsucker, elephant gets tucked under his neck in the style of a telephone so he can get his thumb in.

fisil Mon 29-Nov-04 13:23:21

ds was given a toy elephant when he was 6 months. From the moment he got it he has been attached to it. At first it was a matter of it being a favourite toy, but after a few months he became attached to it - at one stage he wouldn't leave home without it! We have managed to convince him that the elephant works so hard at night looking after him that it needs to sleep all day - so he puts it to bed before he goes out (which is a relief - the thing is handmade and so completely irreplaceable!) We have also had a cat tag engraved with our phone no. and sewn it round its neck! I can just imagine the phone call: "hello, I have here a very sad looking red rag, which may one day have been an elephant, and it has this number on its neck, you can't possibly want it back..."

I don't think we particularly encouraged this attachment - he just loved the thing from the moment he met it!

Fimbo Mon 29-Nov-04 13:23:19

Sorry slip of sucked finger there

Blackduck Mon 29-Nov-04 13:22:39

oh yes the washing machine! ds noticed I had thrown Mr S. in the other day and sat and watched him go round and round...! (I try to do it sneakily and luckily he dries v. quickly...)

Fimbo Mon 29-Nov-04 13:22:22

Hadn't though of that Baked P - my dd still sucks her thumb when she is tired. Ds not interested in thumb sucking. When I was small I used to go to sleep with an old baby blanket and sucked my ring finger and middle finger.

Fimbo Mon 29-Nov-04 13:21:23

Hadn't though of that Baked P - my dd still sucks her thumb when she is tired. Ds not interested in thumb sucking. When I was small I used to go to sleep with an old baby blanket and sucked my ring finger and middle finger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »