Sleep - do 5/6 months old need 3 to 4 hours a day?

(8 Posts)
CourtneyCox2021 Wed 11-Aug-21 16:50:15

I wonder.... 🤔 Exactly as the title says.

People swear by sleep begets sleep.

People say only let them have 2 hours a day or your pay for it with early wake ups?

I'm just asking mums who actually allow their LO actually sleep as much as they want in the day? Or do they cap it?

Do some LO's just need 2 hours in day and then 12 hours at night?

Just generally curious as I see lots of guidance of like 16 hours in 24 hour period.... Mine never done that.

LO not overtired and self settles even after being up 3 hours 🤷🏼‍♀️

OP’s posts: |
Sanch1 Wed 11-Aug-21 17:18:51

They're all different. Mine has three 30 minute naps a day, about 12 hours at night and is perfectly happy. My eldest had 3 1-2 hour naps a day and slept through at night. If baby is happy I'd not worry too much.

Harrysmummy246 Wed 11-Aug-21 17:25:36

Depends on the child. THey haven't read the guidance. Which is at best, an average. If your child is happy, developing well and you're all getting rest, do what works for you.

CourtneyCox2021 Wed 11-Aug-21 17:43:35

That's what I thought. My LO goes down at 645/7 she's screaming for bed then. Sleeps 3 to 3.5 a day, more if I let her then she's up till midnight. Wakes at 5am (dream feed at 11ish). Cooing chatting and not hungry, eventually goes off in very light sleep. I just wonder if she's sleeping too much in day.... 🤔 As I have always encouraged more sleep in day as thats what I thought it was meant to be FTM as you can tell. Now I wonder when she only slept 2/2.5 hours that was what she wanted and needed 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Plumtree391 Wed 11-Aug-21 18:08:45

It's a long time ago for me but I used to let mine sleep when he wanted to, there were no hard and fast rules about it.

CourtneyCox2021 Wed 11-Aug-21 18:52:37

My LO wouldn't go sleep without some gentle prodding. In pram and white noise on. She wouldn't sleep on her own accord...

Timeturnerplease Sat 14-Aug-21 20:03:39

DD1 had to be essentially forced into napping, using white noise, a buggy blackout and LOTS of pushing back and forth in the buggy. Went to bed and self settled at night like a dream, just hated naps.

She did 2 x 20-30 minute naps a day at that age and was perfectly happy. Babies are individuals and rarely conform to the average I’ve found.

Advertisement

CourtneyCox2021 Sat 14-Aug-21 20:26:58

Omg yes! I have to do white noise in the pram. Fortunately I did get her out of the moving back and forth.... Unless out and about if she falls asleep out I have to keep her pram moving 🤦🏼‍♀️ and covered so she can't Nosey until shes asleep then I can remove, as I get proper dirty looks from people having her covered. feel the pain of enforcing naps, glad you can relate.

Oh normally she does 3 to 4 hours in day, prob more 3.15. Always have to wake her on her last nap or too close to bedtime and she won't go down. Though can differ sometimes sleeps hour and half in a go sometimes 45mins she tells me 🤷🏼‍♀️And then 7pm ish till 5/6am. Its funny on everyone's differences.....

She had a good day napping nearly 4 hours so fingers crossed for no early wake up

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in