4 month old nap time!

(6 Posts)
Lauren5976 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:58:32

Looking for some advice/reassurance .. my 4 month old is a great sleeper at night going down around 830pm-7am with no wake ups and no fussing at bedtime. However in the day she will only nap on me! I'm fine with this I don't get much cuddle time when shes awake as she's so aware of the world now she just wants to play!
Did anyone else have there babies nap on them if so until what ages?
I had someone say to me that I'm selfish for not having her nap in a more appropriate sleep space? I was completely taken back by this comment but I cant stop thinking should I be trying to get her to nap in her crib etc? I have tried a few times but she'll only cat nap leading to over tiredness and a moody madam she naps on me well and wakes with the best smile! Stuck in a predicament when I go back to work she won't be able to nap on me so for her sake should I be trying to get her napping in her crib/cot etc? I won't leave her in a room on her own yet under any circumstances so me putting her in her crib to nap would mean me sitting on the bed next to her anyways!
Any stories? Reassurance? Or have I got this wrong 🤦‍♀️

OP’s posts: |
Cakeandslippers Thu 08-Apr-21 13:12:07

My almost 9 month old still naps on me! I have tried to get him down, it'd make my life so much easier as I also have a 2yo who doesn't nap, but he just won't. I have just accepted it now because the stress of the alternative is too much (he's a terrible sleeper at night too).

My daughter was still napping on me sometimes at 4 months but I think by 6 months she didn't want to nap on me at all.

Lauren5976 Fri 09-Apr-21 21:49:44

Cakeandslippers

My almost 9 month old still naps on me! I have tried to get him down, it'd make my life so much easier as I also have a 2yo who doesn't nap, but he just won't. I have just accepted it now because the stress of the alternative is too much (he's a terrible sleeper at night too).

My daughter was still napping on me sometimes at 4 months but I think by 6 months she didn't want to nap on me at all.

Thankyou, how did you know that she didn't want to nap on you anymore? I'm worried when I go back to work she won't nap at all but it's so stressful trying to put her down for it she wakes up and is difficult to resettle back to sleep

sleepslikeababy Fri 09-Apr-21 23:37:34

My son napped on us for 6 hours a day at that age! He was also terrible at sleeping at night. I’d just resigned myself to being a nap station for the foreseeable future. Around 5 months I had to put him down to do something. I thought he’d wake up straight away like usual, but he didn’t! From then on it was slow progress but we were able to put him down for every nap. If he woke after one sleep cycle we’d resettle him to lengthen his naps. He got the idea eventually!

If it’s working for you at the moment, don’t stress about it. A lot of sleep issues are developmental and your LO may grow out of it on their own. I know it’s not the same for everyone but as an example, we’ve never sleep trained and our son has learnt to put himself back to sleep by himself. Of course, every baby is different but in some cases I think a little (or a lot) of time works best.

Lauren5976 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:01:46

sleepslikeababy

My son napped on us for 6 hours a day at that age! He was also terrible at sleeping at night. I’d just resigned myself to being a nap station for the foreseeable future. Around 5 months I had to put him down to do something. I thought he’d wake up straight away like usual, but he didn’t! From then on it was slow progress but we were able to put him down for every nap. If he woke after one sleep cycle we’d resettle him to lengthen his naps. He got the idea eventually!

If it’s working for you at the moment, don’t stress about it. A lot of sleep issues are developmental and your LO may grow out of it on their own. I know it’s not the same for everyone but as an example, we’ve never sleep trained and our son has learnt to put himself back to sleep by himself. Of course, every baby is different but in some cases I think a little (or a lot) of time works best.

Thank you that's really reassuring. If I'm honest I don't think I've tried hard enough to get her napping without me I quite like having the cuddle time feel like I only get this time once and it won't be long until she'll be too big to nap on me. I'm more worried would it be unfair on her to not get her used to napping without me before I go back to work, I guess I've got a few more months until I need to worry yet

Cakeandslippers Sun 11-Apr-21 23:06:12

I didn't know I just kept trying. I'm still trying with my son but no luck. I don't push it though as every failed nap is another step into the exhaustion oblivion!

I wouldn't worry about naps when you're working - is she going to childcare. My daughter was a nightmare to get to sleep, she'd go down but it used to take me an hour to get her to sleep, feeding, rocking, patting, singing etc etc. At her childminder from day one she self settled and slept 2 hours 😱, only ever managed 45 mins here. Childcare are magical wizards!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in