Why is my toddler suddenly waking at 4am!!

(9 Posts)
SameToo Fri 12-Feb-21 04:15:34

It’s been consistent over the past 4 days waking at 4 crying and shouting for us. Previously she slept through the night. She’s 18months, I stopped breastfeeding to sleep 2 weeks ago because of a bad illness and DH took over putting her to bed. All was well until this Monday when she started waking. If I go in she gets frustrated I can’t feed her. DH has been going in and lying on the floor holding her hand but she doesn’t seem to go fully back to sleep and ends up getting up at 5ish.
She naps about an hour a day and goes to bed around 6.30. It was normally 6 but we’ve moved it back to between 6.30-7 to see if this helps.

Any advice please?

OP’s posts: |
swaziscot Fri 12-Feb-21 04:24:36

Getting up early is sometimes a sign they’re getting too much sleep during the day - I’d definitely move her to a 7pm bed time as you’ve sort of started doing. Is her nap an afternoon one? If it’s morning I’d try to keep her awake until early afternoon so she’s not using a morning nap to top up her night time sleep.

SameToo Fri 12-Feb-21 08:14:17

Her nap is usually from about 12 and can be an hour to an hour and a half. I’ve asked the nursery to wake her after and hour today as the naps have definitely gotten longer this week.

I managed to get her back to sleep but she woke after about 45mins. DH then went in again and tried. Slept a little but then got up.

Seriously79 Fri 12-Feb-21 08:26:17

18 month sleep regression- it's hell! Good luck x

SameToo Fri 12-Feb-21 12:52:55

Is that likely what it is? Thank you, I need it grin

Snowymcsnowsony Fri 12-Feb-21 12:55:43

Could she simply be waking up because she is cold?

SameToo Fri 12-Feb-21 16:20:37

We turned the radiator up in her room because we thought it might be this. Might turn it up a bit more.

Advertisement

Sandrine1982 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:55:09

Following!!! Our DD is 17.5 months old and in the last 2-3 weeks she's been getting up at 5:45 on the dot which is a killer! I dont like it !!!! Previously it wasnt that different ..but I'd take anything closer to 6:30 please.

SameToo Wed 17-Feb-21 06:37:35

She’s improved again. Wakes at 6 or after now but she did wake 3 times before 12am last night. I just go to bed at 9 every night now just in case confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in