Baby waking extra for feed, do I feed!?

(42 Posts)
jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:05:57

My DD is 5 months and last night added an extra feed in at 4am zzz. So she fed at 9.30 (7oz) 12.30 (6oz) (earlier than usual) and then 4am (5oz). Usually she'd last until 6/7am.
I'm guessing as her second bottle was earlier than usual this made her want another feed.

Am I okay to feed her formula or should I be trying to make her wait or give water. I just read some information where they said if they wake extra give water. Surely if she's waking for a feed she's hungry? She had a good amount so she was obviously hungry IMO?
Help please.

She's hardly sleeping atm and I'm struggling with what is right and wrong

OP’s posts: |
afsdfaAD Sat 09-Jan-21 09:14:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

saiditbetterthanme Sat 09-Jan-21 09:15:48

Feed her. It won't be like that forever

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 09-Jan-21 09:17:25

Yes give her the feed pls she’s still very young

Nowisthemonthofmaying Sat 09-Jan-21 09:18:58

Don't give a 5 month old water! If she's waking for food then she's hungry. Things still change all the time for babies at that age, feed her if she needs it and try not to stress too much.

GarlicMushroom Sat 09-Jan-21 09:19:12

Of course you should feed your hungry baby! Please feed responsively to your baby's cues. Your baby doesn't know whether she has woken at 4am or 2pm, she is so young and tiny she just knows she has woken and is hungry.

QuantumJump Sat 09-Jan-21 09:21:46

At this age I'd feed her, yes. If she's still waking in a few months you can start trying to settle her without feeding. I didn't give water but did use a dummy which I guess is similar (ie if they want to suck something rather than actual hunger).

Advertisement

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sat 09-Jan-21 09:23:30

Yes, offer a feed.

What's her daytime feed/sleep routine?

SendHelp30 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:24:29

So your baby is hungry and you’re wondering whether to feed her??? I don’t need to tell you the answer, surely?!

Do not give her water.

SendHelp30 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:25:49

Right - feed your baby when she “asks” for it. If she’s crying for a feed; she’s hungry.

Wrong- not feeding a hungry baby.

It can be exhausting OP but please follow your instincts.

jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:27:14

Okay I didn't need the aggy responses I've been trawling forums for days cause I'm at the end of my tether with lack of sleep and a lot of people were saying not to feed a waking baby if they don't usually wake for the feed.
I'm a new mum I don't have a clue what I'm meant to be doing so be kind please!
I have of course been feeding her I've come on the forum for advice if I should be

QuantumJump Sat 09-Jan-21 09:31:43

I agree with you OP - some of these responses were unnecessarily harsh.

jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:33:58

@BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz
This is the usual routine she's in, she's just set this herself , ive not pushed her into any routine apart from the bedtime

She is currently waking at 5.30am, feed at 6/7
Nap 8am
Feed 10am
Nap 11am
Feed 1pm
Nap 2pm
Feed 4pm
Nap 4.30ish
Feed 6.30pm
Bed 7pm
Feed 9.30
Feed 2am

She has usually 5-6oz every bottle

jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:35:13

@BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz she's a cat mapper so usually only naps 30 mins

SleepingStandingUp Sat 09-Jan-21 09:36:00

Geez, can we all be nicer to the exhausted new mom please?

Op if she's walking for food, feed her. Mine are now 1 and if they wake in the night they get water because they drink TONS in the day and they are happy with water but it's about their age.

Babies under 6 months shouldn't have any water, then from 6-12 months it should be small amounts with food.

You're instincts to just feed her are right

Whenwillow Sat 09-Jan-21 09:36:33

I've reported one OP.
My mum was told to feed us ever 4 hours and let us cry in between.
I fed mine on demand. (Both of us breastfed)
I understood that if babies were bottle fed they might need to be offered water if it was very hot.
It sounds to me like your LO is just having a growth spurt. She is probably just hungry.
She'll be ok.
I hope you get some rest today flowers

SendHelp30 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:38:03

I was just saying to trust your instincts. Don’t wake to feed, no.
Is this your only child? If so, you definitely need to nap when she does, even if it’s only half an hour. I would suggest going to bed with her at 7pm. Then you can get a couple of hours in, sleep again at 10pm. Then you should feel better for the next few morning feeds. She can wean soon which should fill her up more. It’s not for long, a few more weeks.

inappropriateraspberry Sat 09-Jan-21 09:38:59

Like us, some days she will be hungrier than others. Especially when she's got so much growing and developing to do! Feed her. She must need it or she wouldn't wake. At that age she is just responding to her body's needs.

Whenwillow Sat 09-Jan-21 09:39:07

What I'm saying, sorry, is that advice seems to change all the time. I don't think it's possible to overfeed a young baby though.

GarlicMushroom Sat 09-Jan-21 09:46:33

Could it be the four month sleep regression come late? Its calculated from edd rather than don so if she was born a couple of weeks early it could be that?
12 30 until 7 is a very good/long stint for a small baby and the 3-4 hourly wake ups (sometimes much more frequently) are really normal. Hard, but normal.
How much is she having per feed? Would it be possible to increase her evening bottles slightly maybe by 0.5-1oz to start with.

jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:48:56

Thanks everyone, I will continue (as I have been doing) to feed her.
Urgh yes I know it will pass it's just hard atm she was waking every 30 mins or so last night so maybe growth spurt or something could be right.
I've got MIL telling me she needs solids before bed to stay asleep you get told sooo much different information from people it's just hard to know if you're doing the right thing.

@GarlicMushroom she seemed to show all the typical signs of the sleep regression at 4 months when she was waking every hour without fail for a couple of weeks but it seemed to pass and she was going 3-5 hours without needing my input but seems to have regressed somewhat this past week and not sure why

GarlicMushroom Sat 09-Jan-21 09:52:42

Ignore mil and the solids....the amount they eat at first is nowhere near enough to have an impact on making them sleep longer and they can sometimes be awake more due to digestive issues.
Is she in a developmental leap? I've always found the wonder weeks app really helpful. Unfortunately they are absolute mysteries and once you solve one thing they throw up something else 🤷🏼‍♀️ just get as much self care at other times and maybe ask dp or someone that you live with to do a full night for you. Sleep in another room, earplugs in and tank up on some sleep.

Haggertyjane Sat 09-Jan-21 09:58:09

Do they still have 'hungry baby: formula? Might help with keeping her asleep longer so you can regain your sanity. I breastfed mine and they were shocking for needing lots of feeds in the early days.

jdy123 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:03:30

@GarlicMushroom I hadn't thought about a leap I actually have the app and it does say she's in leap 5 so maybe this is why.
Hopefully will pass soon then smile
I get a nice long lie in on Sunday mornings when partner has her so I can catch up then !

roarfeckingroarr Sat 09-Jan-21 10:10:36

Feed your baby. Don't give her water. Isn't this fairly obvious...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in