18 month old won’t self settle

(6 Posts)
Lostnames Fri 08-Jan-21 21:04:46

Hi, I’m going absolutely insane with my LG not sleeping well. She’s always been a pretty rubbish sleeper anyway so nothing new there.
I believe she went through a sleep regression a few weeks back and it has thankfully improved slightly, but getting her down for bed is becoming a nightmare. She won’t sleep easily without rocking or being breastfed, and I am trying to break the habit of this by sending my husband to do bedtime and I will feed downstairs first. However he can’t rock her for long and nor does he want too, and I want to stop aswell.
I don’t know what to do about it as I don’t think it’s just a rocking issue it’s also because she just doesn’t want to go to bed, she’s very active and lively and just generally doesn’t stop.
Her day is usually like this we wake her up at 7:30am (usually she will sleep past 8 unless we wake her)
12:30pm nap which used to be 2hrs now is literally anything between 20mins to 1hour!
After 7pm at some point we try and get her to bed but she usually throws a fit and refuses.
Bedtime routine always includes a book (or a lot of books) and teeth brushing.
I really don’t know what to do now, and I don’t even know if this post makes any sense. I am so exhausted and stressed out.
Thanks for any advice.

OP’s posts: |
girlmummy25 Sat 09-Jan-21 18:32:50

Sometimes my Dd can be like this but I will still do my normal routine and put her in her cot. If she cries ill leave her 5 maybe 10 mins depending how bad shes crying. Most the time she will go to sleep. If she doesnt ill sit in her room in the dark in a chair and cuddle her for a while

howsoonisnow85 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:05:19

This was exactly the same as my DD & I actually ended up paying a sleep consultant, so will pass on her advice!
Bring bedtime forwards- sounds counter intuitive but I found the tireder she was the harder to get to sleep.
Introduce supper if possible using 'sleepy' food (porridge, banana, almonds, kiwi- I think its stuff containing magnesium but not sure on that).
Follow exact same bedtime routine every night & have very calm chilled environment.
Say goodnight, into cot & leave the room- as per PP let her cry for abit. 9/10 my DD stops after literally 1-2 mins, if not go back in after 5 mins. Look at Ferber method.
Good luck xxx

Lostnames Sun 10-Jan-21 08:57:10

@girlmummy25 and @howsoonisnow85 thank you both for your responses. I shall try and introduce supper and see how that goes I’ve heard banana is great but my LG is a massive banana hater!
Thanks for the tips we actually had a sleep consultant months ago and it just didn’t work out for us which is frustrating to say the least! I will try and leave her to see what happens for a bit it’s just a struggle, which I’m sure everyone feels!

TopBants Sun 10-Jan-21 09:00:15

www.google.com/amp/s/sarahockwell-smith.com/2016/06/16/getting-to-goodnight-and-go/amp/

You might find that useful.

Lostnames Wed 13-Jan-21 21:41:31

@TopBants Thankyou!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in