Reflux and sleep

(5 Posts)
Paris2019 Sun 27-Dec-20 19:56:35

My LB is 4 weeks old and EBF. In recent days he seems to have developed silent reflux - lots of gulping air, squealing, writhing and kicking when feeding, and then struggling to settle after. I've read up and it seems the main advice is to keep him upright for 40 mins after feeding. But this doesn't seem very practical as I feed him to sleep (even before the reflux we were struggling to get him to settle in his crib). Any other tips / advice on how to deal with this?

OP’s posts: |
OverTheRainbow88 Sun 27-Dec-20 19:58:58

Unfortunately I had to do this with my first, but he outgrew it pretty fast. I fed him to sleep then held him upright in my chest for 30 min; it’s hard at night as I was scared I would fall asleep. The doctor also prescribed ranitidine for it, which really helped. Also you could put books or something under the stand on his head side so he sleeps at a slight angle?

namechangefail2020 Sun 27-Dec-20 20:02:37

Yes they should grow out of it really fast so try not to to worry; it's just a phase. There is a lot of advice about tilting the cot, I really wouldn't, this is a cot death risk and not actually recommended. Not sure why but it's what I was told by doctor and HV

Paris2019 Sun 27-Dec-20 20:16:25

Thanks both... really reassuring to hear it might be short-lived (here's hoping!) @OverTheRainbow88 that's what I ended up doing last night ie held him upright on my chest as he slept, but like you was scared I'd fall asleep! Will ring HV tomorrow too ...

OP’s posts: |
cookiesaurus Mon 28-Dec-20 00:56:33

Hi @Paris2019,

I feel your pain. My DD is 16 weeks and has awful reflux. She will not sleep on her back.

I recently bought a wedge to try and have had a little success but then I get too scared to use it as it isn't recommended

She will actually sleep on her tummy but again, this isn't recommended, so I let her do it for naps and from 7pm until our bedtime as both me and my DH are in the room and awake.

Have you been to the GP?

My DD is on Gaviscon and Omeprazole; these have helped but she is still suffering. So far, we have seen the GP, paediatrician, osteopath, speech and language therapist.

I'm sorry that my post isn't more positive but I think you need to push really hard as a parent to make progress with this. My baby was drinking barely anything due to reflux (200-300 mls a day between 7 and 15 weeks.

We've turned a corner this week by using goats milk formula and dr brown bottle
Switch mam level 2 teats.

Good luck!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in