11 month old sleep struggles

(9 Posts)
Hellothere19999 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:55:30

Hi, sorry if this is long. Looking for genuine advice not criticism here please.

My 11 month old has always been an okay sleeper, did all or the majority of it in her cot but still woke. Recently she has had some teeth coming through and trying to walk and talk so has been in the bed with me a lot more. She’s also begun to refuse her afternoon nap. Last night was pretty awful as she went to sleep but I tried to put her in her cot three times and failed every time. The final time I thought I’ll leave her to cry it out for a little while, which ends with her doing this crying which is very similar to when adults have a panic attack (it’s really horrible to witness as she struggles to breathe and makes an awful noise). I have to stay really calm to get her back to being okay and for ages she’s doing that weird hiccupy breathing, if you know what I mean.

I don’t want her to need to sleep with me but I really can’t do the horrible crying as it is very upsetting for us both. Does anyone have any advice on getting her back to sleeping in her cot more? After teething and some development hurdles will she naturally go back anyway? Thank you for any advice!

OP’s posts: |
Thatwentbadly Mon 14-Dec-20 12:00:39

Teething pain is worse when laying down. Are you giving her medication for the pain?

Hellothere19999 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:07:55

@Thatwentbadly yeah I’ve been giving her ashton and parsons powder and the gel. Last night she had nurofen and calpol, or I do a double dose of nurofen.

Thatwentbadly Mon 14-Dec-20 12:42:25

What do you mean a double dose of nurofen? Do you mean two doses in one go?

The powders are not medicine and don’t do anything more than sugar would for pain.

The best combination for teething pain is nurofen and abnesol liquid.

I cosleep so hopefully someone will be along soon to help with the cot bit.

Hellothere19999 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:52:07

@Thatwentbadly I just mean that over a few hours I either give her a dose of calpol and later a dose of nurofen or just two doses of nurofen as that seems better for the pain. Thanks I’ll try abnesol. I don’t mind the co sleeping so much I just like to have the first few hours of her being in her cot so I can chill out with my partner but perhaps it is the teething pain preventing that.

Thatwentbadly Mon 14-Dec-20 13:02:34

You could try a floor bed. Basically a mattress on the floor in a toddler proof room. Cuddle her to sleep and then roll away.

Hellothere19999 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:19:55

@Thatwentbadly I have been considering a super king mattress and doing this so we can all sleep together. Could be worth a shot thank you x

Advertisement

Thatwentbadly Mon 14-Dec-20 13:32:57

Alternatively you could get a 3/4 double for your lo room. With a small child you may have a few years of bed hopping dealing with illness and nightmares.

Hellothere19999 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:23:28

@Thatwentbadly true. I don’t plan on having another so for now sharing is okay. How old have you co slept until? I’ve given her some anbesol and she’s having her afternoon nap for the first time in days ☺️ Thank you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in