Is Millpond Clinic worth it for 4 yo?

(7 Posts)
JimmyJam2019 Wed 09-Dec-20 09:51:28

My 4yo daughter goes to sleep well but nearly every night wakes between 2-3am and is wide awake for up to 3 hours tossing and turning, sitting up and then tucking herself back in but not in distress, she doesn't wake us. She looks like she wants to sleep but can't get back off again (we have a camera in her room for sleep diary purposes). If we intervene, we can tuck her in again but she can't get back to sleep, so it seems fruitless. She finally settles to sleep on her own and if left would sleep until 9.30 or so.
We wake her at 7.30am for school and keep this up on the weekend to be consistent. HV and GP have reviewed our routine and sleep diary (no red flags), told me its a phase (its been going on 18+ months) and as there is nothing medially wrong they can't help. Although she's struggling to get through the school day and we fear its just going to snowball into other issues.
Millpond seems to be highly regarded but I can't imagine what they would suggest or do I need to keep hounding the GP for a referral to a sleep clinic at a hospital?

OP’s posts: |
oigetoffmycheese Wed 09-Dec-20 09:59:34

We had a referral to nhs sleep clinic (rare beasts though, I think). It was life changing.

I can't really work out what they did but they gave us a plan and we stuck to it. There were also regular meetings in groups which really helped to put things into perspective. That's mostly what I lost because of the sleep deprivation.

Good luck as it's horrible but yes push for a referral or consider paying if you can afford it.

Handsoffstrikesagain Wed 09-Dec-20 10:04:28

What time does she go to bed OP? I’m sure you’ve thought of this but my friends DS had this problem. He was going to bed at 7pm. For two weeks they moved his bedtime to 9:30 (it was hell btw keeping him awake), but it solved the issue. They’ve gradually moved it back and he now goes at 7:30 with no issues.

JimmyJam2019 Wed 09-Dec-20 10:30:00

@Handsoffstrikesagain She goes to bed at 7pm and is asleep within 10-20 minutes. We tuck her in under the duvet and leave the room. This is the easy bit!

Handsoffstrikesagain Wed 09-Dec-20 10:31:06

So this was the exact same for my friend. Have you tried moving her bedtime to later temporarily to see if it disrupts the pattern of waking in the early hours?

JimmyJam2019 Wed 09-Dec-20 10:41:49

@Handsoffstrikesagain I'll give anything a go. I think we might struggle to keep her up that long, but I know you need to persevere with these things.

Handsoffstrikesagain Wed 09-Dec-20 10:45:36

It’s got to be worth a try OP. My friend had a nightmare trying to keep him awake, really required all her effort in entertaining him, screen time, few biscuits, all sorts 😂 but it’s paid off in the end.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in