Sleeping bag for newborn baby

(16 Posts)
ByTheSeaCatsandAll Fri 04-Dec-20 12:46:14

Hello everyone. Can anyone recommend a sleeping bag that you can use for a 10 day old baby please? I’ve tried and tried to find one online but they say for use from 10lbs and I’ve got a 0-3 bag which is too big around her neck. My post-birth brain can’t cope with the research so grateful if anyone can recommend!

OP’s posts: |
ShinyShooney Fri 04-Dec-20 13:09:09

Had the same problem, lots of sleeping things that were far too big for a newborn.

I used a Grosnug, they are good from 5lbs. Can be arms in or out. Also summer infant swaddles and I think love to dream do small sizes.

msb86 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:09:18

Not quite a sleeping bag but I have bought 2.5 tog babygrows from sainsburys to try

randomsabreuse Fri 04-Dec-20 14:13:31

Grosnug is great for tinies.

LittleMissLockdown Fri 04-Dec-20 14:16:17

We used a grosnug here too, it worked perfectly. We brought2 of them from ebay for about 5 quid second hand. The sellers baby had been a whopper at 9lb 9oz so they had been used only a handful of times.

Pinkflipflop85 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:16:53

They aren't safe for babies when they are tiny. Have you looked at the swaddles/zip up cocoons?

BuffaloMozzerella Fri 04-Dec-20 14:18:14

I used these. Can't go over the head due to the arms

https://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/elephant-print-newborn-sleepy-sac-b1500.html

Advertisement

NameChange30 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:18:44

Love to Dream, it's a zip up swaddle and it's great, lets baby have their arms folded up how they like them. I've used one for DC2 (3 months old now) and it's been great.

dementedpixie Fri 04-Dec-20 14:19:30

Its not recommended to use sleeping bags with arms for overnight sleep

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 04-Dec-20 14:19:46

We swaddled until she was too big, at about 4 months I think. Does that not work for you? Much cosier at that age/size.

bobloblawlawblog Fri 04-Dec-20 14:21:55

Grosnug are absolutely brill. Have little poppers on the arm hole so you can swaddle with them if you prefer.

NameChange30 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:23:27

dementedpixie

Its not recommended to use sleeping bags with arms for overnight sleep

Why?

dementedpixie Fri 04-Dec-20 14:28:25

It's to prevent overheating:

Baby Sleep Bags should be sleeveless to aid heat loss and air circulation. (Babies sleeping under traditional blankets rarely sleep with their arms inside). The new British Standard also stipulates that Baby Sleep Bags should be “without sleeves or hoods”. In cooler weather, we recommend long-sleeve bodysuits, in addition to a long-sleeved pyjama top, pyjamas or a sleepsuit.

harrietm1987 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:31:26

Yes I’ve read that about sleeping bags not having arms. Loads of places sell them. I use the gro company (now tommee tippee) ones as they’re recommended by the lullaby trust. They have grosnugs (though they now have a new name) for 0-3 months that fit my newborn perfectly.

NameChange30 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:51:06

dementedpixie
Thank you!

ByTheSeaCatsandAll Fri 04-Dec-20 15:08:43

Thanks everyone for the advice! Tried swaddling but she likes having her arms out. I’m going to look into grosnugs now. Thanks

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in