Getting baby to sleep

(5 Posts)
EmLouiseCanada Fri 27-Nov-20 01:23:53

Hi all,

I need some experienced mum help! I'm a first time mum and no matter what I do I just can't get my little one to go to bed at a normal time. She more or less sleeps through mostly, but she won't go down until around 1/2 in the morning, sometimes later.

She's only four months this month and I know most things say to just work to their schedule until you wean them; but I've also read they shouldn't be going to bed any later than 11 at this stage. I'm just worried if I don't nip it in the bud now I'm going to struggle so much not only to wean her as she won't be up for the breakfast part, but also to get her to start going to bed at a normal time when she is so used to going to bed late.

I've tried to do evening baths, that hasn't worked. I've thought about trying to adjust her feeding times but I don't really know where to start. She just naps when she's tired and it's all over the place so I don't really know how to change that. Is there anything I can or should be doing? Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
Anna783426 Fri 27-Nov-20 01:33:09

Hey, read your post having just got up with my 11 month old. I'd say at 4 months we were fairly similar actually, and then gradually she started getting tireder earlier until the point we are now where she goes to bed by 6.30pm and some nights sleeps through, other nights wakes a few times. I had similar worries to you but found time and time again following her lead was always the best route for both her and I. She's only a baby, she doesn't know there are internet forums and guide books, she's just doing what feels right for her and routine will come with time. We do a bedtime bath now which works well, but only started to work around 8 months - before that it would just over stimulate and exhaust her. Are you getting enough rest?

jessstan1 Fri 27-Nov-20 01:44:41

I wouldn't worry as long as she didn't wake up too early which would wake you. I'm presuming you are not yet back at work so you can sleep as long as she does. She will go to sleep earlier on as she gets a bit older.

EmLouiseCanada Sun 29-Nov-20 01:34:36

Anna783426

Hey, read your post having just got up with my 11 month old. I'd say at 4 months we were fairly similar actually, and then gradually she started getting tireder earlier until the point we are now where she goes to bed by 6.30pm and some nights sleeps through, other nights wakes a few times. I had similar worries to you but found time and time again following her lead was always the best route for both her and I. She's only a baby, she doesn't know there are internet forums and guide books, she's just doing what feels right for her and routine will come with time. We do a bedtime bath now which works well, but only started to work around 8 months - before that it would just over stimulate and exhaust her. Are you getting enough rest?

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping as time goes on she will just get earlier and earlier. Unfortunately it just seems to be getting later. She used to be around midnight and now it's gone to 2am. Just gets a bit tough when you're tired and sitting there waiting to be able to go to bed. I'm finding when I eventually get to bed, because I've stayed up past being tired I then can't get to sleep right away. She sleeps through so that's not much of an issue but I don't particularly feel like I'm getting enough sleep. Just tough when you think they're asleep you take them up to bed and they wake up within minutes of putting them down. I then have to get out of bed and take her back downstairs so that she doesn't wake my husband.
Last night was the worst night with her. I was up pretty much all night with only 40 mins sleep; had her last jabs and she just became so clingy I couldn't put her down. Tonight I've just tried putting her down (she was fast asleep) and she woke instantly. We're now back downstairs, her chatting away looking around. I tend to put the tv on so I'm not just sitting here staring at the walls but I don't know if that's overstimulating her and keeping her up longer. Just finding it tough as me and my husband aren't getting any time together as she's up most the evening when he's back from work as well; then he goes to bed at 10 and I'm still sitting here 4 hours later up with her.

EmLouiseCanada Sun 29-Nov-20 01:35:57

jessstan1

I wouldn't worry as long as she didn't wake up too early which would wake you. I'm presuming you are not yet back at work so you can sleep as long as she does. She will go to sleep earlier on as she gets a bit older.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully she will start to get earlier and earlier. At the moment I'm struggling for anything before 2am. Getting a bit much at the moment. I don't really want to be sitting up till early hours every night. She does mostly sleep through but because of the hours I never feel rested really.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in