Getting 18 month old to fall asleep in her cot

(7 Posts)
SeptSpiral Sun 22-Nov-20 20:48:30

Our 18 month old has alway fallen asleep on our knee then been transfer into her cot. Recently it’s been taking ages so we think it’s time to get her to fall asleep in her cot

Has anyone managed to do that at this age? The advice online seems to be for either small babies or toddlers in a bed

OP’s posts: |
orangejuicer Sun 22-Nov-20 20:50:39

No idea sorry. DS is 2 and falls asleep on our bed, then transferred over. Hoping it will be fine when he's ready for his cot bed.

orangejuicer Sun 22-Nov-20 20:51:29

Just realised how unhelpful that was! You're not alone anyway OP!

burritofan Sun 22-Nov-20 20:52:12

DD is 18m falls asleep in her cot. We have to be in the room though and bedtime still takes fucking forever before we get to the bit where she falls asleep, so it’s not the cure-all solution.

Itllbeaninterestingchristmas Sun 22-Nov-20 20:53:13

I didn’t have any luck with the cot and turned it into a cotbed. It’s at the side of my bed. I lay in my bed he lays in his and we go to sleep. You could put the cot bed next to a spare bed and lay in that then sneak out.

Horehound Sun 22-Nov-20 22:35:13

Itllbeaninterestingchristmas

I didn’t have any luck with the cot and turned it into a cotbed. It’s at the side of my bed. I lay in my bed he lays in his and we go to sleep. You could put the cot bed next to a spare bed and lay in that then sneak out.

So do you go to sleep at like 7.30pm @Itllbeaninterestingchristmas? This is the thing I can't work out when people say their kids slept in their bed etc. Do you have to go to bed when they do as that seems pretty ridiculous!

We had managed to get our 15month to sleep in his cot by putting on his tummy and shaking his bum. Then we would try to reduce contact/bum shaking gradually so he'd start more self soothing. We'd got to a point of him sleeping in under ten mins but then he got a cold or something and it's been ruined ever since!
We've had to start all over again but this time we just took a harder approach and put him in cot leave him to cry then go back after 3 mins,wipe his nose and put him back down then leave, wait 3 mins then go back in, wipe nose from crying snot, put back down and stroke and pat his back. And he's asleep basically as soon as he goes back down that second time.
So I don't need to do that method where you increase the time they cry, there's no way I could do that. Three mins is hard enough but it worked and then by night three or four he would actually put his arms out ready to go into cot and goes down with just Patting and stroking no need to leave the room at this time as he knows the score and there's no tears.

What I want to know is how to keep them down! My boy is going through a bad phase of waking two or three times a night when he had pretty much cracked sleeping through the night previously...

Itllbeaninterestingchristmas Mon 23-Nov-20 05:26:03

Currently I do go to sleep at the same time because I also have a 3 month old and ds, who is now three, doesn’t go to sleep until between 8 and 8.30.
You can leave them asleep in either the cot bed attached or your bed. If they are under 18 months just make sure tour bed follows the safe sleep guidelines as well as their cotbed.
Sometimes I’d go back downstairs, sometimes go to sleep (he’s a bad sleeper ) and sometimes just watch iPad in bed.
Ds still doesn’t always sleep though but when he’s in bed next to me and he stirs either he realises I’m there and goes back to sleep or I just reach out to him and tell him to go to sleep. If I’m not there he comes and looks for me then starts crying and it takes usually an hour to calm him down again!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in