4:30am starts!

(6 Posts)
billyjean123123 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:12:47

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice getting my step son (4 years, 8 months) to sleep in past 4:30/5am.

He has a dark room with black out curtains and day time naps have almost completely stopped, mainly since he started school full time.

We have one of those toddler clocks where the 'sun comes up' at 6.30am but he wakes up way before it and comes in to ask us questions.. (I can't find my puzzle, my Lego's stuck, etc).

We start bedtime at 7pm and he has a story and a song. He's usually asleep by 7.30/8pm.

Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
GreyishDays Sat 21-Nov-20 08:15:15

Tell me more about the naps. That’s quite unusual to still be having any at that age. Does he still have one at the weekend? I’d drop that for a start and get into a good sleep routine.

Apart from that, how long has it been going on for? The early waking.

Russell19 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:21:28

I picked up the same as the above poster. Unusual for a child to have day naps beyond 3 really. No day naps at all to get into a routine. Does this child live with you full time? Just wondering if his routine is the same every night or not.

billyjean123123 Sat 21-Nov-20 13:48:03

Thank you for the replies. He doesn't live with us the whole week. Almost half.

I'd say he's having a 40 minute / hour nap half the time.

As I'm typing it's very clear this is probably the problem. It's so hard to keep him awake though, especially on car rides!

Do you think if we (and his mum) can stop the naps he should wake later?

Russell19 Sat 21-Nov-20 14:37:44

I would say very probably yes xx

billyjean123123 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:40:05

So apparently mum doesn't let him nap (although we've picked him up a few times during one so I'm not sure how accurate that is).

We managed to stop any naps this weekend but still had 4.30/5am wake ups. Hopefully it will adjust in time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in