7.5 month old & the dreaded nap refusal...

(4 Posts)
MonkeyBeard Wed 18-Nov-20 12:43:21

DS is, as the title says, 7.5 months old. Night sleep has improved massively recently and we're down to one feed and 3-4 wake ups a night so I can put up with the naps and don't want to risk buggering the nights up.

Naps are becoming a bit of an ordeal. He settles in his cot on his own for all sleep now, although he's become a bit dummy dependent recently. He is starting to learn how to pop it in his mouth when he can find it though. He grizzles, cries and fights every nap and only manages 35 minutes although his naps had previously lengthened. I go in and out to calm and dummy, but he doesn't seem to be able to drop off while I'm there distracting him. Our routine is:

6:30/7am wake (I'll wake him at 7 if needed)
7:30 breakfast
8:45/9:15 put down for a nap
11:30 bottle
12/12:30 put down for a nap
1:30ish lunch
3:30ish put down for a nap
4:45ish dinner
6pm bath, bottle in bed to be asleep for 7pm

Can anyone see anything that you think I could do better for him? We try and keep to wake windows of about 2 - 2.5 hours.

OP’s posts: |
PorridgeOaf Thu 19-Nov-20 18:38:02

There is a regression at 8-10months, could be this. My DD is same age and doing short naps again too.

I'd also do lunch before the lunchtime nap as they will be fuller and hopefully sleep longer

PorridgeOaf Thu 19-Nov-20 18:39:35

Oh, could also be time to drop the 3rd nap. 3.30 seems a smidge early in any case, but if this is tough to get then might be worth dropping and moving bedtime forward to 6.30. it's tough though when their lunchtime nap is so short!

MonkeyBeard Thu 19-Nov-20 20:47:39

I had wondered about the nap, but I tried to drop the fourth nap before he was quite ready for similar reasons and it backfired so I'm hesitant to give that a go. He also just can't manage wake windows much longer.

He's decided to have a go at a tooth I can now see pushing through the gum now anyway so I guess all bets are off for a while!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in