8 week old night sleep getting worse instead of better.....advice/experience wanted

(5 Posts)
Toffee86 Fri 13-Nov-20 03:05:18

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by to read smile I could really benefit from other people's experiences....even if only to reassure me that I'm not alone.

My baby is 8 weeks old and up until last week, my husband was putting DD down at 1230am, i would get up once to feed her around 3ish and then that would be baby until 7am. However, this last week, everythings gone to pot! A week ago, HV suggested we put Dd down early. So, we tried it and she slept 9-3....hurray!!....and then back untip 6am. But since that night, her sleeping durations are getting shorter throughout the night. She generally isn't hungry. She's just...awake every 1 hour or 2!!!

For more context, I have a 2.5year old toddler and honestly, I'm really struggling to get baby into any kind of routine with a demanding toddler around. We don't have specific times for bottles or naps. I do get out every day though and get baby exposed to as much daylight as possible. Im now at a total loss as to what my baby should be doing now with regard to naps and night time sleep. Its like I've forgotten the secret recipe of the first 7 weeks. Should I be putting her in her cot for day time naps to try and build an association with her cot and sleep? Am I overthinking this and quite simply, she's a baby? I feel like a rubbish Mum to my baby that I don't seem to be able to get her into a routine unlike other mums i know sad

My first born was such an easy sleeper (it just happened naturally!) so I'm really struggling with this now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks

X

OP’s posts: |
Somethingvague Fri 13-Nov-20 03:25:46

Growth/developmental leap! I think there's a big one around 8 weeks. It's a phase. I don't think there's much you can do at this age, except know it'll pass. You can try and start good habits now, but I wouldn't really worry about sleep associations etc until after the 12 week mark.

Needmoresleep123 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:56:10

My 7 week old is similar!

ml01omm Wed 18-Nov-20 20:51:08

This happened to my baby at around 7 / 8 weeks and carried on. I was told to just man-up and live with it ( not exactly the advice I was looking for). You have my sympathy!

Oly4 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:52:54

It’s entirely natural for them to wake every hour at this age.
Sorry! It gets better about age 18 months - 2

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in