Newborn sleep zzz

(9 Posts)
Loweryx4 Mon 02-Nov-20 06:30:46

Hi, I’ve had my second daughter seven weeks ago and have unwittingly fallen into having her next to me at night in bed. She seems to find it nigh on impossible to sleep in her basket/bedside cot at night even if she appears in a deep sleep in my arms before I put her down. Appreciate she is still very young etc, but I don’t want bed sharing to be the norm as time goes on and would rather try and get her more settled in her own space sooner rather than later.

Any tips for transitioning at this early age would be appreciated! Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Itllbeaninterestingchristmas Mon 02-Nov-20 06:39:18

Warm the basket up with a hot water bottle before you move her. And/or a sheepskin to sleep on.

MalorieSnooty Mon 02-Nov-20 06:53:41

Neither of mine slept in a cot, OP. I co-slept with them and got LOADS of sleep as a result. As long as you're doing it safely, you'll both be fine!

Loweryx4 Mon 02-Nov-20 14:26:45

Thanks very much - will try the sheepskin as I have one, and a hot water bottle.

Yes, doing it safely, just don’t want to end up two years down the line still doing it tbh!

Thanks

Napqueen1234 Mon 02-Nov-20 14:30:05

To reassure you OP we co slept for 4 months and through the regression and then I tried transitioning her to a cot. She took to it loads better than when I tried younger (I started with naps in the day in her cot and she also started going up to bed at 7ish then so she wasn’t used to falling asleep next to me). 9 months in and she’s a great sleeper. I never wanted to co sleep but found it helpful early on. Some people recommend it for any sleep issue but it wasn’t for me so we transitioned out of it smile

Beasmamma Wed 04-Nov-20 05:48:35

No advice but I’m having the exact same issue with my second daughter who is 5 weeks old. I’ve tried swaddling, hot water bottle etc but she still doesn’t want to sleep in her bedside cot so would be very interested if you find something that works!

KiriAndLou Wed 04-Nov-20 06:07:32

It just happens with some kids, OP. DD wouldn't go down in her cot at any price and co-slept with us. DS goes down like a dream (thus far, anyway). Whatever gets you the sleep. They won't still be in with you at 18 and it's no easier to transition out of co-sleeping at two months than it as at two years. Ours started sleeping in her own bed at a year (all night at eighteen months) without drama.

Advertisement

faelavie Wed 04-Nov-20 19:54:56

I can empathise. My son would not sleep anywhere except in my arms. I tried everything. Swaddling, putting my t-shirt in the Next2Me so he could still smell me, white noise, countless other things. Even safe bed sharing didn't work because he wanted to be held and wasn't fooled by being placed on the bed nearby. I was so sleep deprived I started having hallucinations and I'm pretty sure I googled "can you die of sleep deprivation" at some point. This was a year ago and I can look back and laugh but I felt very unsupported at the time. DS sleeps through in his cot in his own room now!

If safe bed sharing settles your daughter and enables you to get some sleep, I'd say just continue with it. Don't worry about years down the line, it's too early and kids are unpredictable, anything can happen. Just get some rest!

Loweryx4 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:30:21

Loweryx4

Hi, I’ve had my second daughter seven weeks ago and have unwittingly fallen into having her next to me at night in bed. She seems to find it nigh on impossible to sleep in her basket/bedside cot at night even if she appears in a deep sleep in my arms before I put her down. Appreciate she is still very young etc, but I don’t want bed sharing to be the norm as time goes on and would rather try and get her more settled in her own space sooner rather than later.

Any tips for transitioning at this early age would be appreciated! Thanks

Thanks very much everyone, it's reassuring to hear everyone's thoughts and stories. Much love x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in