15 months, night waking and waking up ANGRY!

(3 Posts)
Mummywantsaweewee Fri 30-Oct-20 21:54:36

As far as I can see I do everything “correctly”.
DS still breastfeeds, however he doesn’t feed to sleep. I offer breastfeed before his naps (he still currently has a morning nap otherwise he is grumpy and won’t last til lunch) and before bedtime but he is put in his cot awake but drowsy with a night night, love you, dark room and white noise.
He wakes from his morning and after lunch naps angry. Wakes crying. He wakes frequently at night until I give up and bring him to my bed.
Everything I read says that if he can fall asleep drowsy but awake, he should be able to go back to sleep himself after night wakings...obviously this isn’t true for DS.
What am I doing wrong and how can I help him sleep better? We want to give him a sibling soon but I don’t know how I’ll handle co sleeping with a toddler while pregnant!
He has plenty of active time, a daily pram walk, good varied diet, lots of reading time, pottering round garden. have tired blackout blinds ANd nightlight, white noise.

His current routine :-
Wakes between 6-7
Breakfast around 8
By 9.30 he wants a nap so I give him one but try to keep it to half an hour. Offer a small snack when he wakes
12 lunch
1-3 nap
Small snack on waking
Dinner 5ish
Bathed, story, breastfeed and in bed for 7

He then is guaranteed to wake around 8ish and then usually 11/12. I then give up and bring him to bed. Help!!

OP’s posts: |
1738hey Sat 31-Oct-20 09:32:33

Let him nap as much as he wants in the day. And are you using a red night light? White light will trigger melatonin release which will cause him to wake. Red light won't!

1738hey Sat 31-Oct-20 09:33:40

I say that as I don't think 2.5 hours is a lot of nap sleep for a 1 year old and if he waking angry he obviously is grumpy and tired

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in