No more dummy 😬

(6 Posts)
Glago2017 Mon 19-Oct-20 22:20:42

So Santa's elves came on Friday night/sat morning and took my dd dummies away and left her a present. She is 2 1/2 and was very excited by this as the elves are now going to tell santa she is a big girl and can get big girl toys for Xmas.
However getting her to sleep has now become a battle. Temper, crying, kicking her covers off, wanting cuddles etc. Currently lying with her as she has fallen asleep in my arms after 2hrs of trying. I feel guilty! 😒
I know its only night 3 and its all still new to her however I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? How long will this last?
Tia! Xx

OP’s posts: |
ScarMatty Mon 19-Oct-20 23:47:20

We removed at 6 months but similar....

3-4 days of torture
Another 3-4 days of needing lots of comfort
Just over a week before he magically forgot about the dummy

ScarMatty Mon 19-Oct-20 23:48:16

And don't feel guilty. You'd feel even worse if you didn't take the dummy off which could result in teeth/mouth problems

Floralnomad Mon 19-Oct-20 23:58:04

Just persevere , it will get better and hopefully fairly quickly and it will only be worse next time if you give in and give them back .

Figmentofimagination Tue 20-Oct-20 00:01:44

We have recently removed dummies for our 3yo DS. What seemed to work for him was being able to see praise. So he got a present from us, but nursery also made a big deal of it and made him a laminated certificate.
He loves the certificate and would take it into his room every night and bring it downstairs every morning for a couple of weeks after. It didn't stop the tears and tantrums completely but it gave him something to focus on so he wasn't as bad as he can be. Within a a week he had completely forgotten about the dummy but not the certificate.

Glago2017 Tue 20-Oct-20 07:20:16

That gives me some reaasurance that hopefully within a week she will be fine. She isn't asking for a dummy.....just everything else. πŸ™ˆ
She has just woken up, I was thinking that would be her for the day but I went thru to see her, she asked for her blanket back on and fell straight back to sleep, no fuss. Must just be the initial getting to sleep at night.
Thank you for making me feel better about the decision. She has been fine giving up everything else... bottles, nappies etc so this is the first real battle we have had.
X

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in