9 week old won't sleep in crib

(6 Posts)
melon91 Thu 15-Oct-20 22:48:22

Hi all,
My little girl is now nine weeks old (born at 36 weeks) and is a nightmare to get to sleep. We're now in a routine of coming up to bed at 8pm and she'll feed for at least 2 hours (she's EBF). Then she finally seems to be asleep so I burp her and put her down in the bedside crib. She'll seem really peaceful for a few minutes before waking up and refusing to sleep. I'll try and nurse her to sleep again and the same will happen. Sometimes this can go on until 2/3am. I've tried swaddling, not swaddling, changing nappy, rocking. Any suggestions as I'm tearing my hair out now?

OP’s posts: |
TooMinty Thu 15-Oct-20 22:57:08

I doubt she is really feeding for 2 hours (no criticism, I let DS1 do this too!). She is probably feeding then sleeping then feeding then sleeping etc. Before you put her down, can you do the arm drop test? Ie pick up her arm and let it go - if it drops back to her body without her starting or waking up then she's in a deep sleep and can maybe be put down... Failing that, how do you feel about co-sleeping?

TooMinty Thu 15-Oct-20 22:58:24

I also didn't bother with burping or nappy changes (unless poo) at night.

melon91 Sat 17-Oct-20 06:51:05

She is constant for 2 hours, eyes wide open and suckling. She only ever does this at bedtime. I've tried to check she's floppy before putting her down but she just keeps waking up when placed in crib (I even put a hot water bottle in it before to warm it for her last night). It's now constant all night with only 40 minutes of continuous sleep last night. We're not willing to cosleep but I just need to find a way to get her to settle in the cot. She was fine with this weeks ago and slept for up to 5 hours at a time.

OP’s posts: |
TooMinty Sat 17-Oct-20 16:30:53

How does she nap during the day? Can you get some sleep then? The trouble with babies is they keep changing! Getting more alert, having growth spurts, teething... is there another adult that can do shifts with you? If she will take expressed milk in a bottle that is.

TooMinty Sat 17-Oct-20 16:31:47

Other things to try could be a dummy or white noise.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in