8 week old awake crying for 12 hours

(61 Posts)
Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 13:55:11

Hi all,
My son turned 8 weeks yesterday. He still wakes up every two hours during the night but these last two weeks he spends the whole day awake and crying. Today he woke up at 6 am from his last nap and he's still awake. I try feeding burping massage playing singing rocking everything I can but all he does is cry and squirm. I'm at a point where I'm crying everyday out of frustration and I don't know how long I can do this. Is it normal? Please some advice sad

OP’s posts: |
Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 13:56:43

Let me add, before that he would cry most of the time but at least take a few 40 min to 1 hour naps. I'm really worried about his development when he barely sleeps for 9 hours a day.

GreenLeafTurnip Thu 15-Oct-20 13:58:13

Can you take him out in the car? It was guaranteed to send out little one off to sleep in minutes. I distinctly remember driving around to get him to nap!

bloodywhitecat Thu 15-Oct-20 14:00:48

Have you spoken to your GP to rule out reflux?

minipie Thu 15-Oct-20 14:01:35

Car or buggy or long walk in the sling. He’s overtired and the motion will help him drop off. Then once he’s asleep, keep moving!

The more you can do this to get some sleep in him during the day (aim for at least 3 hours per day) the easier it will get to get him to nap

converseandjeans Thu 15-Oct-20 14:02:18

Sounds like an allergy or reflux. Take him to the GP. Must be really stressful.

Caspianberg Thu 15-Oct-20 14:05:16

Mine fights naps ( and night sleep tbh), but as above usually a walk in pram or slings and he will eventually nap. Have you had any luck with naps like this?

Advertisement

Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 14:10:39

@converseandjeans he's on aptamil pepti for cmpa. @bloodywhitecat we tried gaviscon and a thickener but it made him really constipated and we have that problem as well, he spends hours trying to pass wind or have a movement, all while crying and screaming. @minipie @GreenLeafTurnip I tried a sling but it gave me a really bad backache for days maybe because I had a c section (he's 14 lbs bless him) and I don't drive. Dh works night shift so I cant ask him to drive us around. I'm feeling really lost and I don't know how long I can do this for. I'm worried he is behind for his age and I look at other babies the same age that sleep through the night and are happy and I worry a lot

StellaGib Thu 15-Oct-20 14:13:51

Almost no 8 week olds sleep through the night. Maybe by 8 months.

I would feed him, give him a dummy and go for a walk in the pram. One of mine I had to take out for a pram nap three times a day.

Cupoftchaiagain Thu 15-Oct-20 14:18:07

Will he nap in the pram? Is it a bassinet or a reclining buggy seat? Big thermal mug of coffee for u and give it a shot.

Cupoftchaiagain Thu 15-Oct-20 14:20:14

U have got to pick a destination and go for it though, I swear they can tell if u r just going round the block and won’t fall for it!

madcatladyforever Thu 15-Oct-20 14:22:00

It sounds to me like he's ill and needs to be investigated as soon as possible. It also sounds like he's in pain.

Highfivemum Thu 15-Oct-20 14:24:21

Please take a deep breath and don’t be hard on urself . I would get him checked out with GP or Heath firstly.
At 14 lbs he is a fab weight ..
I have 6 children and to be honest I went through this with most of mine. Reflux can be helped and he will grow out of it.
Could the issue be he needs to go on a different formula. ? I know all mine went on a formula for hungrier babies and were more settled then .
Speak to someone at ur clinic. If the crying gets unbearable take him out. The fresh air does help.
Take care.

madcatladyforever Thu 15-Oct-20 14:26:30

You don't know what it is until you've had it checked out by a medical professional - it could be anything. It's NOT normal to be squirming and crying like that so please don't make any assumptions on what it is until you have seen your GP.

Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 14:38:13

@madcatladyforever were been to the Gp numerous times they just say colic. I had to pressure them to let us try a hypoallergenic milk.

@Highfivemum is hungry baby milk thick?

@StellaGib and @Caspianberg we don't have a pram as we have limited space (and I'm paranoid about it flipping or going into traffic but that's just me) but it looks like we really need one

bloodywhitecat Thu 15-Oct-20 14:40:03

Gaviscon can make them constipated and it is not the answer for every baby, there are other medications that can be tried. Squirming and crying for 12 hours is not right and he is trying to tell you something. Having a small baby is so so hard flowers

Brunt0n Thu 15-Oct-20 14:49:03

You don’t drive and don’t have a pram... what was the plan for leaving the house?!

Definitely get a pram ASAP

minipie Thu 15-Oct-20 14:55:58

Yes I would certainly get a buggy and ideally one where he is not totally flat, so a reclining one where you can choose the angle and put him only 90% flat rather than a bassinet.

Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 14:56:02

@Brunt0n I was fine with the carrier at first but then he had a growth spurt and became a chunk. I'll look into prams x

Kaceywd Thu 15-Oct-20 14:57:52

@bloodywhitecat I feel like I'm not listened to. I had to threaten contacting pals for them to agree to let us try a milk and I'm worried if we change Gp they might be worse

EL1984 Thu 15-Oct-20 14:58:12

I'm so sorry this sounds so stressful I can't imagine dealing with a crying baby all day 😔
I don't have any new suggestions really but I have a 10 week old and he has always only been able to get to sleep breastfeeding or in the pram or car.
It is also really difficult to put him down during the day for naps, is easier if he sleeps across my lap once he's fallen off the boob.
I think you could try buying a second hand pram with a bassinet, hopefully the motion will have him drift off. Helps to push it really fast!

Caspianberg Thu 15-Oct-20 15:38:52

@Kaceywd - something like the baby jogger gt would be worth looking at. It folds quite small, but spacious to last a few years.

Our pram has a strap btw on the handle as it’s a mountain buggy. But I’m think many do come with one or you can add if you worried about pram rolling into road.

Or get another sling? At 14lbs they shouldn’t be too heavy. My 5.5 month old is 16lb and feels light still in sling, and he can move to on my back when older/ heavier.

A pram is definitely key though for naps as then your hands free whilst they nap. For me this is key as he doesn’t nap long, but if at home it gives me 30 mins to get stuff done. Or have a tea and cake in peace

Highfivemum Thu 15-Oct-20 16:05:03

Not necessary thicker but sustained hunger longer. My Dh is very tall. My Dc all well about the 95 centile needed more milk. But giving more milk was not good for their little tummy’s. So the hungrier babies milk worked for me. My HV said to use it. I also Weened them all earlier even the doctor took me too. Worked for me. Happy and heathly baby.

Disappointedkoala Thu 15-Oct-20 18:00:24

Get a pram - or at least a better sling. You must be going round the bend stuck in with a crying baby all day. I'm a huge believer in the powers of fresh air! My DD loved (and still does) a good buggy nap! Does he have a dummy?

DaisyF1986 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:49:22

I have a 7 week old baby and until last week was in a similar position to you. We had crying pretty much every waking hour, difficult deeds, constipation, colic, everything you can think of. Going out for walks, rocking, holding, nothing worked.

We changed to comfort milk last week and it has been a real game changer. Now he is a completely different baby and has just settled himself to sleep for the first time. We tried it on the advice of the health visitor and I wish we'd done it sooner!

Hope things get better for you x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in