Baby sleeping on lambskin?

(8 Posts)
fee1234 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:57:18

Hi, my 12 week old is a very cold baby - she's anaemic ( borderline transfusion level, still having fortnightly checks at neonatal unit to keep an eye on her). She sleeps in a vest, sleepsuit, socks, swaddled and has a cashmere blanket tucked over her. I did use the 2.5 sleeping bag but found she was still cold in that too. She is still cold despite all this and the heating being at 20 degrees. Her little toes and fingers are always icy, but that's a side affect of her anaemia.

I was thinking about getting her a short lambskin to sleep on top of, does anyone recommend them?

OP’s posts: |
Harrysmummy246 Tue 13-Oct-20 15:42:59

How do you know she's cold? Unless their skin on their back or chest is cold, they're ok.

It is very normal for babies to have cold hands/ sleep at night.

It would not be safe to put her on a sheepskin for SIDS reasons- it's not a firm, flat surface

Lockdownfatigue Tue 13-Oct-20 16:37:44

The sheepskin is a sids risk unfortunately.

All babies have icy cold hands when you pick them up at night, doesn’t usually mean they’re cold. They will cry if cold, it’s far less dangerous than overheating.

fee1234 Tue 13-Oct-20 20:13:44

Thanks for the replies. I came to the same conclusion and didn't buy one in the end.

At the moment her coldness is a side affect of her anaemia, legs and arms feel cold and she will cry or whimper during the day unless she's cosy with cardigans and bootees etc. The doctor is hopeful that it should start getting better in a few weeks so i will just keep an eye on her until then.

Neighneigh Tue 13-Oct-20 20:22:49

@fee1234 Would merino wool baby clothes help? It's very good at keeping you warm but equally not overheating. Just an idea, and I hope you get the anaemia sorted

Suzi888 Tue 13-Oct-20 20:28:39

Oh bless, warm bath and fleece onesies?

fee1234 Tue 13-Oct-20 20:39:07

Thanks, I've been dressing her in a cashmere cardigan during the day and she has some fleecy sleepsuits too. She has a merino wool outfit which she wears most days too! It's a shame as we were gifted lots of lovely dresses etc but there's just no way she would be comfortable wearing them. Cashmere blanket wrapped and tucked in around her during the night seems to be keeping her toasty.

I had antibodies during pregnancy which passed over to her and she was born with Haemolytic Disease, causing severe jaundice and late onset anaemia. She's not had a fun time of it but at least I can keep her cosy.

Advertisement

dontmesswiththeGC Tue 13-Oct-20 21:13:53

Turn up the heating! As someone who is always cold I can tell you that 20degrees is nowhere near enough. Mine's on 24 at the moment, not all day but when I start feeling the cold and need to warm the house up I set it for 24. I have a 5 month old and my heating goes to 22 for 5am so she doesn't wake from the cold and can go back to sleep when she does wake up around that time (most nights), then up to 23 for 6am then 24 for 7am and I switch it off once the house is warm about an hour later. See if that helps?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in