Settling 16 week old for naps

(5 Posts)
MamaSloth Fri 02-Oct-20 18:37:25

My 16 week old DD can be really difficult to settle for naps in her crib. We tend to use an awake time of 1.75 hours and then she gets put down for a nap unless she's clearly tired before that and then she'd go down earlier.
For naps, we sing a song, put Ewan on and she gets a dummy. Sometimes she's fine but other times she absolutely screams and it's so hard to settle her. She'll stop crying the second that she's picked up but cries as soon as she's put back down.
We have a lot of naps out walking in the pram and she normally falls asleep without any crying.
She sleeps well at night and normally falls asleep with one tiny 20 second cry and then either sleeps through the night or wakes for one feed.
Any ideas for what I can try? Listening to her scream like that breaks my heart

OP’s posts: |
Sweetpea1989 Fri 02-Oct-20 19:18:49

I can’t offer any help but my 16 week old is exactly the same!

MamaSloth Sat 03-Oct-20 09:03:37

At least it's not just me! It's horrible to listen to her so upset ☹

OP’s posts: |
Lockdownseperation Sat 03-Oct-20 09:05:32

Most 16 weeks can’t self settle. When my oldest started school nursery over half the 3 yrs old were still cuddled to sleep. I think you may need to readjust your expectations.

Emmaaa1990 Sat 03-Oct-20 12:40:07

@MamaSloth my little one was the same but I started to do abit of controlled crying with her! When she turned 12 weeks (now 21) I started putting her in her crib she always cried so I did some research and someone posted about a 3,5,7,10 rule. So I got her all ready for a nap, darkened room, white noise and dummy and put her down I then left her to cry for 3 minutes then went in to calm her down then again left her for 5 and so on. She never ever got to 10 and rarely got to 7 but I think this really helped her settle and get used to her own crib & putting herself to sleep.

She used to nap on me and I felt stuck, she does nap in pram and car when we are on the go & now she doesn't ever cry when I put her down to sleep. I noticed from around the age I started and the age your baby is the wake window that fit best was 2 hours awake. Honestly the 3,5,7,10 rule changed my life! She now settles herself all the time in her cot maybe worth a go? Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in