4 month old baby only feeds well while drowsy or asleep

(5 Posts)
SoraSky Mon 21-Sep-20 21:51:10

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on here! I have regularly browsed old posts though since my ds was born!

Anyway, he is now 4 months olds and since about 3 months- we have been having some feeding issues. That’s being, he only wishes to eat properly (more than 5 minutes) when drowsy (just before sleep or just waking up). When awake, he may occasionally latch on, other times not at all. If he does latch, he will wait impatiently for one letdown and then get fussy working for another and come off.

He has refused a bottle since 3 weeks old. But, last week we managed to get him to take a bottle for two consecutive days (when he was just waking up) but then, he began to refuse those again.

I’m just wondering, has anyone else been through this? Will the sleep feeding ever end? I can deal with it for a little longer... but, I’m just wondering what’s going to happen when he gets older- if he doesn’t somehow grow out of this behaviour, how will I feed him at 6,7,8 months?!

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your replies.

OP’s posts: |
cactusdog Mon 21-Sep-20 22:30:58

Sorry OP not much advice but didn't want to read and run.

Both mine have been similar. I think it's very common for them to feed for longer when asleep/sleepy. My 7 month old still does this (especially in the early hours).
I can't fully remember when but my (now) three year old stopped but he did so it does happen and there is light!

What's the issue you have with it? Is it just being stuck feeding for so long? Or that you don't think he's getting enough?

Also both mine were bottle refusers 😭 my eldest took the bottle finally about 11/12 months

SoraSky Wed 23-Sep-20 03:03:06

Thanks so much for the reply cactusdog. smile

It’s nice to know that others have had similar experiences and that it may be something he grows out of.

Mainly, it’s just that, I have to keep making him sleep or drowsy and then feed him. It’s very hard to be out somewhere, because he may flat out refuse, get fussy or have a short feed.

I’m just concerned that he’s not going to enjoy feeding while awake again, like he used to. It doesn’t seem to comfort him anymore.

Who knows? Babies are hard! But, I do hope that he will grow out of it like yours.

Thanks for your response!

OP’s posts: |
girlmummy25 Thu 24-Sep-20 20:29:23

My bottle fed baby done this from about 1 month old until 4 months old and then she just grew out of it!
She wouldnt feed awake and if she did it was like something was wrong or bothering her, it upset me so much.
I once fed her while she was asleep and it took her an hour to finish her bottle but that was the only way she would feed

cactusdog Thu 24-Sep-20 21:45:52

I think I read that they go through a big leap developmentally about that age too where they start to notice all their surroundings so are much more easily distracted and would prefer to look around than eat!

I gave my first a bottle while out because of it and he preferred it as he could have it and still look around.
Second DS I haven't bothered, I just let him get on with it and feed him when I can 😆 which is often during the night 😭

He will grow out of it though I promise. Sounds like you're doing great x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in