How to put (older) baby to sleep on tummy

(9 Posts)
Kty8901 Fri 11-Sep-20 07:24:13

My daughter has suffered from silent reflux from birth and always been a pretty bad sleeper - now 7.5 months old.

For a long time we swaddled her as this helped her settle but she started getting too strong for it around 5/6 months so we moved her to a sleeping bag. I was hoping she might start trying to get herself comfortable and sleep on her side or stomach which I think helps refluxy babies....but I don’t think she’s realised she can move around after the swaddle as she just doesn’t move at all in her sleep despite being very active and rolling about in the day!

I’ve tried to place her on her tummy or side to settle her but it just doesn’t work at all, she thinks it’s playtime and sticks her head up! Could / should I maybe roll her onto her tummy once she’s in a deep sleep? Or does anyone have any other tips for settling them on their tummies? I’m almost certain she would sleep better once she realises she can move around as she wakes up in pain flapping her arms around and slamming her legs down..

OP’s posts: |
Eggcellent29 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:41:19

You should always put your baby down to sleep on their back to reduce the risk of SIDS.

I’m not sure why you think sleeping on her side or tummy will help?

For the reflux, what do you give her and how do you feed her? The only thing that may help in the night that I’m aware of is tilting her cot so she isn’t flat.

If she was more comfy on her front or side, she would roll that way herself surely?

It sounds like perhaps she is feeling the effect of not being swaddled more than it being a reflux problem? I’m sure she will settle down after a while and it stops being so fun to flail about! Sleep bags are a good idea, it will help her feel secure smile

Kassandra1 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:44:20

Sleeping on front is a big no no.

acquiescence Fri 11-Sep-20 13:46:41

My son had ongoing reflux when he died in his sleep at nearly 2 years old. He slept on his front for comfort and when I found him he was face down in the mattress. I now check my older child and make sure he isn’t ok his front. It’s a minor risk in an older child, but e don’t have any clear cause of death. 95% of older children who die in their sleep are found face down.

Twickerhun Fri 11-Sep-20 13:50:40

She needs to sleep on her back, don’t prop her up on her side or settle her on her front.

You can get wedges to help raise the head level of the mattress to help with reflux but please don’t do anything without taking expert help - call your health visitor if you are worried and get specific advice.

Twickerhun Fri 11-Sep-20 13:51:03

acquiescence

My son had ongoing reflux when he died in his sleep at nearly 2 years old. He slept on his front for comfort and when I found him he was face down in the mattress. I now check my older child and make sure he isn’t ok his front. It’s a minor risk in an older child, but e don’t have any clear cause of death. 95% of older children who die in their sleep are found face down.

I’m so so sorry for your loss.

PinkSpring Fri 11-Sep-20 13:58:15

Surely if your child can roll, then what's the issue with them sleeping on their front?

My DS is eight months and despite me putting him to sleep on his back, he always rolls to sleep on his tummy.

Advertisement

Kty8901 Fri 11-Sep-20 15:39:51

@acquiescence I’m so so sorry for your loss. Thanks for your message.

I’ll stick to putting her down on her back, I’d been told by a friend with a refluxy baby that side of front sleeping was more comfortable and thought the SIDS advice was for babies who can’t yet roll both ways so this is good to know, I had no idea of the risks in older babies.

OP’s posts: |
acquiescence Fri 11-Sep-20 17:25:54

@Kty8901 thank you. The risk really is minimal but I felt I needed to share. Hope your little one settles soon. I found different medications helped some way, hope you have a helpful GP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in