Getting 13 month old to go to sleep on his own

(3 Posts)
excitednerves Wed 09-Sep-20 20:22:48

Hi

My 13 month old is still rocked to sleep, during the day for naps it's fine, a quick 5 minutes and he's out like a light but after bathtime it takes an age. I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my second and it's now just becoming too difficult to rock him for long enough - plus I think he's just not able to find a comfy spot on me anymore.

I don't have much to complain about. His sleep is pretty predictable and he sleeps though the night so I definitely count myself lucky.

Does anyone have any tips for getting baby to settle himself on his own?

OP’s posts: |
Zofloramummy Wed 09-Sep-20 20:26:31

I’m still struggling to get my 9 year old to go to sleep without me sat in the room! It was easier when she was younger, lots of “go to sleep”, staged retreats, musical and light toys. It’s harder now she can get out of bed and get in with me stating she can’t sleep on her own!! Good luck with it all, i obviously massively messed up with my bedtime routine. If I could do it again I’d start earlier and be less soft hearted.

excitednerves Wed 09-Sep-20 21:46:57

@Zofloramummy thank you for sharing. I hope you can figure something out. If it’s any consolation, I have a stepdaughter who lived with us since she was 10 and trust me, in a couple of years she won’t want to leave her room for anything. Lol

I think you’re right with the being tough approach. We’ve tried sleep training before but given in because of heatwaves/teething/moving house/any other excuse. We need to start leaving him to it I think and only going in if he’s getting distressed.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in